Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Appearances and Book Signings
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 42

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appearances and Book Signings
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm just going to have to pay attention to this board to keep up with all the events he is doing and try one of those. Smiler

Miss Kitty,

For the next event you have to coordinate with others in the 'OC' to form a caravan, or wagon train in your case. Wink

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
UCLA does tape the lectures but I'm not sure they are ever make them available.

I thought they sold CDs last year - maybe I'm wrong.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that I may have mentioned this before, but when I sat across from Ray in his home in August of 1996 he told me that Richard Bach was the only person who had presented him with a transcript of one of his lectures that Richard had attended. Ray was quite impressed with this and later Richard participated in a writers group hosted by Ray.

Richard went on to write Jonathan Livngston Seagull and eleven other notable tomes.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane1,

I did not hear back from you. Feel free to give me a call. I promise not to be in the middle of a convoy of half asleep truckers this time.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, John, I was remiss in not calling again once you were safe and off the road. I am not sure what may got me off the track.

What I was calling about, and I was going to give a shout to Doug Spaulding as well, was that you, Doug, Nard and Mr. Dark would, I would think, have the powers that would be necessary to make it possible for Ray and Phil Nichols to meet. And I am sure that you will all try to implement this meeting. And, alas, I sit here in South Florida jealous of your proximity to all of the action.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

What I was calling about, and I was going to give a shout to Doug Spaulding as well, was that you, Doug, Nard and Mr. Dark would, I would think, have the powers that would be necessary to make it possible for Ray and Phil Nichols to meet.

I know the 'Limey' and the 'Long Horn' will appreciate your working on their behalf. Smiler

I’ve already done stuff, back-channel, with Phil to make sure they’ll have my contact information and that if for some strange twist of fate they cannot get into Mr. B’s conference that they’ll still be able to meet-up with us.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if Ray Bradbury will be signing books at either the talk at the Newport Beach Public Library or at the Torrence Cultural Arts Center? I missed him by about 10 minutes at the LA Times Festival of Books at UCLA, and I'm trying to get a personalized signature for a friend who is a huge fan.

Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: 29 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vaaht,

Mr. B does sign books at the Torrance event.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I'll be at the Fremont Centre Theatre, in South Pasadean, this evening. Mr. B is planning on attending...so if you are looking for a truly enjoyable evening this is it.

www.plays411.com

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I finally had a chance to catch the full performance of F451 tonight. They really caught the book and put the pages on the stage. I had tears in my eyes by the final scene with the book people. Ray has written one of the most powerful ending of any story: book, movie or play. Simply wonderful.

An added pleasure for this evening with Ray’s special guest, Norman Lloyd. Best known for having directed/produced 174 episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents over an eight-year period or, in front of the camera, as Dr. Auschlander in St. Elsewhere. Mr. Lloyd told me that The Jar was Mr. Hitchcock’s favorite of all the episodes of AHP. Mr. B still has THE Jar in his collection.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
John, you are bringing back great memories. "The Jar" is one of my all-time favorite episodes of THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK SHOW, one that I still have on VHS. I can vividly recall watching it as a kid when it originally aired on televison back in 1964 (I know, I'm dating myself). And what a cast: Pat Buttram (Gene Autry's old sidekick as well as Mr. Haney on GREEN ACRES), Collin Wilcox, Slim Pickens, William ("Blacula") Marshall and Jane Darwell (who was so wonderful in John Ford's film of Steinbeck's GRAPES OF WRATH). And a score by Bernard Herrmann! Add to the mix Ray's wonderfully creepy short story (screenwriter James Bridge's adaptation was nominated for an Emmy) and Mr. Lloyd's direction, and how could you miss?

And when Buttram slowly approaches Wilcox near the end, saying "Here, kitty, kitty..."

The show genuinely scared this former youngster.

Posts: 2453 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Here, kitty, kitty..."

Now a line used by Letterman...but not with the same effect.

I think that all of us, of a certain age, were delightfully scared by this episode. It is one of the most remembered and loved. I felt honored, thanks to Mr. B, to tell Mr. Lloyd how much I enjoyed his work...including the final scene in St. Elsewhere.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Vaaht,

Update for this event. It is on Friday the 30th at 7 p.m. Get-away Friday for Memorial Day so there should be NO traffic at that time. Wink

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Anything Bradburian happening in the L.A. vicinity this Thursday evening? I'll be at USC that morning for my son's graduation! Leaving the next day, though.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Vaaht,

Update for this event. It is on Friday the 30th at 7 p.m. Get-away Friday for Memorial Day so there should be NO traffic at that time. Wink

This has changed to the 30th? "The Guide" for the L.A. Times shows it on the 27th as of 11PM on 5/22.

Please let me know!

Posts: 12 | Location: Arkansas! | Registered: 27 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post