Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Appearances and Book Signings
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 42

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appearances and Book Signings
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
And another: have you met Ray before?

To speak for Phil, he has told me that he hasn't met him before.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Do you mean that we have to pay a fee to hear you deliver your paper?

'Fraid so.

quote:
Of course, I'm sure you're worth it!

No, that's L'Oreal you're thinking of.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Phil, I hate to ask the obvious question, but will you be able to meet and visit with Ray? And another: have you met Ray before? I would imagine so but I don't recall your having mentioned meeting him specifically. Thank your response.

And don't forget: if you can work in a side trip to Sunny Florida my guest bedroom is open.

I hope to be able to meet Ray - we will both be at the event at the same time. It's just a matter of getting through the crowds and introducing myself! I haven't met him before, no.

I'd love to fit in a side trip to Florida (and another to Indianapolis to meet Profs Eller and Touponce, and another to...), but unfortunately this has to be a flying visit as I have work to get back to. The conference is actually at a terrible time for me, right during the period when I really need to be at work assessing my students' work. However, it was an opportunity too good (and rare) to miss.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More than once I've been told that I'm a bit off but this time I am really off...to the Festival of Books, that is.

I'll do my best to get a few decent photos to post by tomorrow.

If anybody else, from the forum, is attending please say howdy to the guy sitting on the stool at the head of the line for the book signings or the guy handing out flyers for the F451 performance to those standing in line for the lecture.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i asked about this a while ago and someone said that they were still working on scheduling conflicts. but it appears to have worked itself out. ray will be speaking on friday may 30th at 7pm in torrance cal again.

http://www.torrnet.com/TCAC/4605.htm

Posts: 7 | Location: san jose | Registered: 18 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I missed it! Frowner We used Yahoo! maps to get directions on my cell phone and it sent us to downtown LA (we live in Orange). We were lost and at 2pm we gave up, heh. We did spend some time in China Town since we ended up in LA, but it was not as nice as the book festival would have been. I hope everyone who did attend had a nice time!!

I'm just going to have to pay attention to this board to keep up with all the events he is doing and try one of those. Smiler

Posts: 5 | Registered: 19 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "Chronicling Mars" conference at UC Riverside should be interesting to fans of Mr. Bradbury and his work. He'll be speaking and receiving a Lifetime Achievement Award. He will be on a panel discussion with Frederik Pohl (how's that for firepower?).

That is Saturday. The conference goes from Friday, May 16 - Sunday, May 18th. Also in the conference will be Greg Bear and David Brin--so some heavyweights in the SciFi crowd will be participants.

Phil and I will both be presenting papers--in the same session as it turns out, and I am REALLY looking forward to meeting him, and hoping to meet Nard, as well (you coming, Nard?). I believe our sessions are in the 1:30 - 4:00pm time slot.

The link is: http://eatonconference.ucr.edu/program.php

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark~ Yes! I plan to be there! It'll be great meeting both you and Phil (philnic) as well!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone,Ijust got back from the U.C.L.A. book fare. Mr Bradbury looked great,he got there early,signed for a couple of hours then gave a beautiful talk on Love and following our dreams.
What an amazing man.

P.S. Thank you so much J.K.T.

Posts: 60 | Location: L.A. Ca. | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would love a transcript of that talk!

Nard, it will be great to finally meet you!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So let's see: I gather that attendees of Ray's talk at the Eaton conference will include

me
Mr Dark
Nard
Doug Spaulding
jkt

Anyone else coming along?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chon:
i asked about this a while ago and someone said that they were still working on scheduling conflicts. but it appears to have worked itself out. ray will be speaking on friday may 30th at 7pm in torrance cal again.

http://www.torrnet.com/TCAC/4605.htm

I am going to have to double-check but I believe Ray will be at the Torrance Civic Center on Friday night May 23rd.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
So let's see: I gather that attendees of Ray's talk at the Eaton conference will include

me
Mr Dark
Nard
Doug Spaulding
jkt

Anyone else coming along?

I believe one Mr. Ray Douglas Bradbury will be coming along, too. Smiler

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:

P.S. Thank you so much J.K.T.

Always nice to put a face to a name. Sorry I was too busy to chat more.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
Would love a transcript of that talk!

Nard, it will be great to finally meet you!

UCLA does tape the lectures but I'm not sure they are ever make them available.

John King Tarpinian