Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Appearances and Book Signings
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 42

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appearances and Book Signings
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Email address removed.

"Aw, sucks" is a Cockney phrase?

I did not see the listing of Senior Dark. Did I miss it?

Thanks, jkt.

Don't know about "Aw, sucks", but "Aw sHucks" seems to be quite universal in the English-speaking world, if a Google Search is anything to go by.

Is "Senior Dark" Mr Dark's father?

Big Grin

(Just thought I'd join in with those smiley faces.)

I'm having a heck of a time typing these past two days...

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Nard we have a posting of yet another appearance by Mr. B. He will be making a Friend's of the Library appearance on May 22nd in Newport Beach, California.

http://events.ocregister.com/newport-beach-ca/events/sh...ng-with-ray-bradbury

http://www.nbplfoundation.org/lectures.htm

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jkt,

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the ticketed events for the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books at UCLA. Ray's lecture is listed on page 3. Ray is also scheduled to be in the Vagabond Publications booth, #634, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. for signings. The is no ticket required for the signing event, just standing in line with a few thousand people. Since Mr. B is being hosted by a retail booth there may be signing rules in place that are controlled by Vagabond Publications.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/867201?start=41&rpp=20&list_view=1

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
So what are the chances of actually getting to meet Mr. Bradbury at the UCLA Festival of books? I've never been to it.

I've tried two years at the Comic Con in San Diego, but there are just so many people who want him to sign books. Mr. Bradbury doesn't usually sign for very long either it seems.

One year I made it to the very front of the line, but Mr. Bradbury was feeling tired, so they stopped the signing.

Meeting him has kind of turned into a Quest now since it seems so hard to do. lol

Posts: 5 | Registered: 19 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Miss Kitty,

Last year, EVERYBODY who bought a book was able to meet with Mr. B, at the Vagabond Books booth. More than a few people went thru the line more than once. With the lecture, not everybody is able to get in. The auditorium only holds 1,800 people.

I suggest a tag-team approach. If you get Matt Dillon to start standing in line, at Royce Hall, around 1 p.m., while you get in line at noon, to have Ray sign a book you purchased you'll have a good chance for both. Books can be purchased as soon as the event opens on Saturday.

If you attend, you will see a corpulent guy at the head of the book signing line saying things like, "Next!" That'll be me, please say hello.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jkt,

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Thank you very much! I have seen Mr. Bradbury do a few panels/lectures before at the Comic Con. Those were great to see, I'm not sure if I will try to get into the lecture though at the book festival. You have to get the tickets for that at ticket master, correct?

I don't have to go to the lecture do I, in order to get in the autograph line?

I hope it is not a bother to ask the time of his signing? I read on one post it was 1pm, but then I thought I saw on another post it was 4:30? Should I get in line really really early?

Thank you so much for your help.

-Miss. Kitty

posted Hide Post
John, no doubt you and I might well make pretty good book ends, but let's ease up on the use of the word "corpulent." Wouldn't "pleasantly plump" be perhaps a better description?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
John, no doubt you and I might well make pretty good book ends, but let's ease up on the use of the word "corpulent." Wouldn't "pleasantly plump" be perhaps a better description?

OK, how about 'Jolly Fat Man?'

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
You have to get the tickets for that at ticket master, correct?

I don't have to go to the lecture do I, in order to get in the autograph line?

I hope it is not a bother to ask the time of his signing? -Miss. Kitty

It is my understanding that you can get tickets to lectures, the day of the event, at UCLA without the seventy-five cent processing fee. But, Mr. B is so popular it is not uncommon for the allocated seats to be gone before the day of the event.

The lecture and the signing are two different functions. They are independent of each other.

The siging will be from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. The adverts are saying from 1-4 but I believe that is wrong becasue it would not allow enough time to get from one venue to the next.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for the info!

posted Hide Post
Sorry to be a pest, but one more question:

The website for "Chronicling Mars" says the talk is "open to the public, and free of charge".

Does this mean one doesn't have to register?

Posts: 17 | Registered: 12 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Dylag:
Sorry to be a pest, but one more question:

The website for "Chronicling Mars" says the talk is "open to the public, and free of charge".

Does this mean one doesn't have to register?

I am under the impression that Mr. B's talk is first-come-first-serve. A call to the university might be in order if you want to be 100% sure about the policy.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I, too, am under the impression that the talk is first-come, first-served.

(There might be some confusion because it's part of a conference. The conference itself is open only to paying delegates, but the Bradbury talk is free and open to all, first-come first-served.)

(I speak as a fee-paying conference delegate, by the way!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, I hate to ask the obvious question, but will you be able to meet and visit with Ray? And another: have you met Ray before? I would imagine so but I don't recall your having mentioned meeting him specifically. Thank your response.

And don't forget: if you can work in a side trip to Sunny Florida my guest bedroom is open.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
The conference itself is open only to paying delegates...

Do you mean that we have to pay a fee to hear you deliver your paper? Or be a delegate?

Of course, I'm sure you're worth it!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post