Ray Bradbury Forums
Didn't he try to prevent the future?

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/7891076901

20 February 2007, 07:47 AM
Braling II
Didn't he try to prevent the future?
I read Moby Dick twice: once in junior high, when a lot of it didn't hold my interest; and more recently, when I really enjoyed it.
Some of the whaling philosophy and politics as well as some of the details of the actual techniques of whaling can be pretty heavy sledding (if I may be allowed such a metaphor); but the intensely-drawn characters, story, and thrills are not to be missed!
21 February 2007, 01:08 AM
philnic
I have read PARTS of Moby-Dick (I've probably read ALL the parts, but never in one continuous read from beginning to end).

Some parts of it are overwhelming (in the good sense of the word), like the chapter that discusses the colour white. I can certainly see how grappling with the white whale back in the 1950s influenced Bradbury's writing thereafter.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
21 February 2007, 01:12 AM
Robert M Blevins
"He tasks me...he tasks me - and I shall have him." (lol)

Hey, wait a minute now. Wasn't that line used by Ricardo Montalban in the film 'Star Trek II- The Wrath of Khan..."?

Man, you have to like how Montalban delivers a line, though. Cool
22 February 2007, 10:58 AM
philnic
Ricardo uses a lot of Ahab's lines in that film. That was Nicholas Meyer's doing (the director).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter