Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Anthems and Accuracy
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anthems and Accuracy
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
That time again. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
That time again. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

On Saint Patrick's Day one year ago today, I had my next to last visit with Mr B. I reminded him that it was Irish Day (at which he perked up) and we talked about Ireland, Huston, The Quiet Man, Waking Ned Devine and Falling Upward!, his favourite play and mine. I read One For His Lordship and One For the Road and we laughed at His Lordship's prank and the village's prank in return.

It was a good March 17th. Sometimes you don't know what you have until it's gone.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Truer words were never spoken......

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Faith and Begorra, Sure and 'Tis that time again!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Faith and Begorra, Sure and 'Tis that time again!

To be sure, to be sure.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Miss Durbin! Ah, simply wonderful . . .
https://video.search.yahoo.com...&hspart=mozilla&tt=b

(Ironically, second week of RB short story presentations tomorrow ~ Anthem Sprinters, Huston encounters, and GS,WW discussed, with RBT episode viewed. Thank you, Mr. Bradbury.)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would not want to miss bumping this one up!

posted Hide Post
Luck o' the Irish to all here!

posted Hide Post
In this season I hark back to Mr B's final year with us and a story comes to mind. Picture it: 3/17/2012. I'm over to the house visiting the great and passionate one as is my wont to do (his failing eyesight makes reading difficult, so I go over of a weekend and read his stories to him).

During the course of conversation I casually mention that it's Irish Day (our term), and his eyes grow wider and light up. "Is it Irish Day?!" he asks. "It is," says I. Well, this turns the conversation, of course. We talk of things Irish, and in turn, of course, his favourite of his plays (and mine), Falling Upward!

We also recollect that time a couple months prior when I brought three actor friends from Fahrenheit 451 round to the house to do a bedside reading of McGillahee's Brat for him. Ah, the Irishness of it all!

So, here we are, Mr B and me, at the last performance of his Irish play, Falling Upward! Ah, for the good times.

And Happy Irish Day!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ERIN GO BRAGH!!!!!

SIC NOS SIC SACRA TUEMUR

but why?

Posts: 138 | Location: earth? | Registered: 01 January 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Quiet Man was on TCM again last night. This makes only about 50 times for me, but I notice something each time and this time it was something only a Bradbury fan might catch. When Sean Thornton (John Wayne) went to visit the Reverend Mr. Playfair (Arthur Shields--people who have a cousin named Arthur Shields earn a point, oh, one for me!) and both sat down, Thornton hitched his trousers up at the knees before sitting and Playfair did not. The clothing seemed to be made of different materials. Points to whoever can name the Bradbury reference.

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Happy St. Patrick's Day, all! Time to pull out GREEN SHADOWS, WHITE WHALE; THE ANTHEM SPRINTERS; or any of Ray Bradbury's wonderful stories about Ireland, and read! (Or, in the case of many, re-read!)

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Here is the Irish National Anthem in Irish with a poetic English translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OetAvMnzO_k