Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Who are YOU?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who are YOU?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
That's not true, Faler! My husband is really insecure about me, whereas I really don't care WHAT he does! But, it does sound like a man wrote that, doesn't it?

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
H.G. Wells is one of my favorite authors (along with the obvious), and his Martian war machines in War of the Worlds carried themselves on three legs.

Posts: 5 | Location: rockford, il, usa | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is Calaveras Grande. It's spanish for Skull~big. It's a nick name given to me by my friends. I'm not spanish or anything, but it ended up bieng my screen name because it's very rarely already taken. Bradbury has been one of my favorite writers most of my life. Now I just wish he'd write more because I've pretty much read his entire output.
Favorite? I like his short stories a lot so maybe Illustrated man. I can't decide.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 30 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Petronius Arbiter II is the most frequent pen name I use on the internet, and have also used it in print.

I am a great admirer of Fellini and other foreign directors (Kurosawa, Bergman) and "Fellini-Satyricon" is one of my all-time favorite movies. It prompted me to read (what's left of) the original Roman novel, followed by "The Golden Ass" and later, becoming an "I, Claudius" fan eventually set me onto becoming nearly obsessed with ancient history and "mega-anthropology" as I like to call my region of interest; "the proper study of man is man."

I don't think Bradbury's ever done historical fiction but I'd like to see him try. A time-travel story, perhaps.

Posts: 14 | Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA | Registered: 30 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray has done only one or two short stories which could be characterized as "historical fiction." No longer works which didn't take place in his own lifetime. Some time travel, even then a lot of it was to/from a future time and the 20th Century--not so much 20th Century back--"A Sound of Thunder" being the most famous and furthest back.

Ray once said the Civil War era was the most fascinating period of American history. It is acknowledged but not deeply entered into in his work, probably because, as he also said, facts put him to sleep at noon. He never lets facts get in the way of a story--which could pose problems when writing historical fiction.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i think it is wrong that you took my posts out of here and my introduction. i am soopergooman, thats all.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What ever happened to Tilt Boss? I was rereading his stories the other night, and man, they were great! I wonder if he has any more?

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what is the name of the short story about time travel where travellers can hunt dinosaurs and when a group returns history is changed because someone stepped off the path and crushed a butterfly?

quote:
Originally posted by groon:
On this site, we all have screen names. Mine is Groon, taken from the title of (and subject of) The Groon, a poem found in Ray's collection, When Elephants Last in the Dooryard Bloomed. I have noticed some other Bradbury themed screen names and I recognize a few of them, (dandelion and octobercountry being the most obvious) but I'm not sure about some of them. I thought it would be cool if we could all take a few minutes to introduce ourselves and get to know each other. Maybe say a few words about who we are and perhaps shed some light on those mysterious screen names. Since we've been talking on these boards, why not make a formal introduction.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A Sound of Thunder"

But this is a "Who are you?" thread.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is biplane1 because I loove to to fly and ride in biplanes and it was because of Richard Bach (Jonathan Livingston Seagull) who was a neighbor of mine and who had a 1929 Detroit-Parks biplane that I first got to meet Ray in 1967 when I was enroute from Ft. Bliss, Texas to Ft. Ord, California. I had written to Ray once and he has responded.

When there was a seven hour layover in Los Angeles I got this wild idea to go see Ray Bradbury. Outside the terminal there was a long line of yellow cabs and the first one I approached said he knew exactly where Ray lived in that he taken him home many times.

Since then I have been in his home four different times, the last being in 1996 when I was out to L.A. for my son's wedding.

I have corresponded and spoke with Ray over the phone for many years and his kindness has never diminished. When I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago he had just gotten out of the hospital yet was very excited about his new book, The Cat's Pajamas, coming out.

He is an unbelievable guy!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love flying in biplanes and it was through Richard Bach, author of Jonathan Livingston Seagull, that I first met Ray in 1967 when I had a seven hour layover in LA and have been in his home several times over the past 37 years along with corresponding with him and talking with him on the phone. He has always been a very positive and upbeat person. When I spoke with recently he had just gotten out of the hospital but didn't dwell on the fact--in fact he was very excited about "The Cat's Pajamas" coming out.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
>>"Ray has done only one or two short stories which could be characterized as "historical fiction." ... Some time travel, even then a lot of it was to/from a future time and the 20th Century--not so much 20th Century back--"A Sound of Thunder" being the most famous and furthest back."<<

Not familiar with that one, but "Downwind from Gettysburg" came to mind when you mentioned Ray's professed interest in the Civil War.

Posts: 14 | Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA | Registered: 30 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane1,
Welcome! My first ever plane ride was at age 15 in a HAT II open cockpit biplane. I even got to take the controls for a little bit. It was amazing! I have since been on a few commercial airliners, but would love to get back into a biplane sometime! Lots of fun!

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray's interest in the Civil War is also reflected in his short story, "The Drummer Boy of Shiloh."

Posts: 2445 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rm -r is a Linux command... it will delete whichever files you specify. And Linux is an alternative operating system to Microsoft Windows. So, I'm a tech guy by trade and a writer at heart.

I'm also a huge Bradbury fan.

There is a small bookstore a few miles from my apartment, run by an enigmatic old man. He has over a half million used books on display, every genre you can imagine. Bookshelves stacked two deep from floor to ceiling, you have to dive in to find what you're looking for. I've picked up Bradbury anthologies I had never even heard of, some printed decades ago. A few have an original price tag of $.50 printed on the cover.

Anyway, I've been reading the forums for a while, and finally decided to post. I hope all this smoke clears soon, and the board will once again discuss all things Bradbury.

Posts: 32 | Location: Provo, Utah, USA | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post