Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Who are YOU?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who are YOU?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
my name is from an Arthur C Clarke book, where the character was basically a man made god, who had an insatiable thirst for knowledge, had the capabilities of being omniscient... et cetera... but was a little lacking on the wisdom side....

sometimes i feel like i have so much potential... i'm just a little lacking on the wisdom side... but i want to learn, i want to know everything... someday, maybe

Posts: 7 | Location: san francisco | Registered: 20 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clarisse,
Where are you from? Do you read Ray Bradbury's stories in English or are they translated? And, thank you for joining us.
Greentown

Posts: 194 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
vanamonde,
It sounds like you're on the right track.

Clarisse,
I also love the skeleton story. The concept of a man battling it out with his skeleton because he feels it's waiting for him to die is just brilliant!

Walter,
"The last person on earth may be you. What will you do first? Second? Third? Fourth? Fifth? Sixth? Seventh?"

It sounds like you're starting a whole new topic. Hmm. Boy, I guess I'd have to learn a lot. First I'd have to become a chef, doctor, mechanic, all rolled into one. Gotta have new skills, since I can only rely on myself. Second, how to open doors without breaking them down, or having to crawl through a broken window. This place'd get messy fast if I had to break into every place I wanted to go. Smash into the supermarket, thrash into the theater. I'd probably end up accidentally burning a couple movie reels trying to learn how to thread a projector. Hmm...third?

[This message has been edited by groon (edited 10-20-2003).]

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im am Gallagher roolz nd I just love. I have so many of his books in my collection

Posts: 5 | Location: OB NJ | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have an interesting story, I'm using my own name! don't ask me why because I don't remember how I registered!

Posts: 73 | Location: portugal | Registered: 10 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clarisse_harris:
I thought in Clarisse Harris... from the story Skeleton. 'Cause it was the first story I read, and it really "shocked" me... since then, I read the entire "October Country" and then I bought "The Illustrated Man", "The Martian Chronicles" and "Fahrenheit 451"... I think this webpage it was just was I was looking for, my friends doesn't read Bradbury's books, so I don't know anybody to talk about them.

Well, I apologize for my english, I hardly write/speak it..... at least.... I understand it

If you read and love Bradbury - you know the very best of English!

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sup guys my screen name is the brand of my first guitar. I love to play guitar and i am in a band. If anyone is into rock e-mail me and i might be able to hook some people up with a cd. We compare ourself to (trapt,chevelle,) some of our songs sound like incubus and 311. If you would like a cd i might see whats up.
e-mail me at strat2232@yahoo.com

Posts: 6 | Location: Atlanta,GA,USA | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your welcome. I think I wont write a lot here because...I accept it..I'm lazy and I easily get tired of "thinking" in english...so it means a real big effort to write something here.
From Greentown Illinois asked where am I from... I'm from Chile, I have read Bradbury's stories in both lenguages, but most of them in spanish.
I liked Skeleton story...because...I think I've felt like him, like when something that you normally accept becomes something totally different and "scary"...that you can't understand... mmm, well...I've got to go to sleep. Bye!

Posts: 3 | Location: Chile | Registered: 19 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clarisse,
I was married in Chilean wedding clothes!
Greentown

Posts: 194 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by From Greentown Illinois:
Clarisse,
I was married in Chilean wedding clothes!
Greentown

why???

Posts: 3 | Location: Chile | Registered: 19 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clarisse,
My wife and I wanted to do something that was not traditional. We wanted to do our own thing - something unique. We were to be married standing in a river but it was flooded that day so we were married in the forrest. I did not want to be in a tuxedo so I got some wedding clothes from Chile at an import/multicultural store in my home town called Beyond Timbuktu (where I now work). We were standing on flower petals and I was barefoot. We wrote the ceremony as well.
So, do you read Bradbury in English or is he translated?
Greentown

posted Hide Post
You already answered that. Sorry, I forgot and flaked. I've been losing a lot of sleep lately.

posted Hide Post
Why feyweaver? - I'm getting on a bit now and my failing memory suggests I use the same ID in all the places I visit. Saves confusion and panic all round.

Cicy and Aunt Tildy would be the ones for me tho. Probably Aunt Tildy being most appropriate these days.

Posts: 8 | Location: cambridge, Suffolk, United Kingdom | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I chose my screen name after screwing up my original choice of a screen name. That being
scanner after part of the vocation I currently am in. I scan articles, and monographs, or chapters from a University library to be sent as online files to Library Patrons accrossed the nation, or world that request them from our Interlibrary Loan services. I fell into choosing the name uncle because of the age of the college students I work with, and my three nephews, and to much embarassment here forgetting my original password after a long abscence from the BB. Then I realised that it also fit in with one of my FAVORITE Bradbury stories. Uncle Einar because I have two daughters that I adore, but are in thier tweenage years that are regularly embarassed by their Father, But they like to spend as much one on one time with me when they can.
Uncle also fit because I also would love to FLY, and I have always loved Ray's stories of the Family. Such as found "From the Dust Returned" I am, and have been a Bradbury fanatic since the age of 11 when I read the Illustrated Man. I am now 43, and have been employed in a University Library for over 12 years. Great Idea Groon ! I constantly find it amazing the diversity of readers out there. A.G.Smith

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 11-09-2003).]

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone! Just thought I'd dredge up this old topic, because we have a lot of new faces since this thread was last added to!

Just a refresher: This thread was made for basic introductions, to tell a little about yourself, but mainly about your screen name here on this site. What is your screen name? Why did you pick it? Does it mean anything? Is it derived from a character/story/etc?Just thought it might be interesting to know!

For any new members, welcome! I started this topic originally, so my screen name is explained in the first post at the top of this thread! (page one)

Have a good one!

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post