Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Who are YOU?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who are YOU?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Robert,

I was going to say balderdash to your suggestion, then I Googled your name and, er, you're right. Good marketing suggestion. If was a fan and wanting to find out more about you, your posts here, and on other forums, would be a treasure trove. Imagine how we'd feel if Ray had postings on the Internet.

Biplane1,

Writers write. There's nothing stopping you from writing except for you. The world has gotten along quite well without your writing and, I suspect, will continue to get along without it. So that means if it's going to get done, you're the one who has to decide it's important enough to do it. From what I've seen, you've got the skills. Just get to it.

(By the way, I Googled your screen name, too. Congratulations! You've already got an Internet presence.)

Best to you both,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pete,

You are so correct. It is I and only I that holds the key. I just have to get off of my rather ample posterior and do it.

It is funny that you mentioned Googling Biplane 1 as I spent several hours checking on my real name and finding that there was another one of me born in 1775. At one time I thought that I was the only one in world with my name, but when I was in California visiting my son I leafed through the greater LA phone book and discovered that there was one of me in Huntington Beach.

Then some time later I received a post card in the mail from a fellow who wanted to know if I was the fellow who was an advisor in the Viet Nam war. There was a phone number and called the guy and asked him how many of me were there. He said 13 and later sent me a print out of the other 12 me's. Wow! Was I shocked.

All for now. Always enjoy reading everybody's posts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even more disturbing than discovering there is another you: do a Google IMAGE search on your own name, and see PICTURES of all the other yous!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil,

How does one do a Google Image search? Write your name and the word Image or what?

As for Googling Biplane there are a lot of aviation enthusiasts and especially antique aircraft that are biplanes. By the way I have been trying to attend the Sun'N Fun Fly-In in Lakeland, Florida the last several years, except that I have been driving in.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane1,

try clicking on this link:
http://www.google.co.uk/imghp

Type in your search words, and see what you get.

(I just typed in your real name, and two faces popped up - I don't think either of them is the "real you"!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By the way, this is what you get if you do a Google image search for "Ray Bradbury".

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Phil,

Now those are some real nice photos of Ray. And you are right, I am not in any of the photos. What is amazing when you do that (Google your name) is that any name that matches, first middle or last, shows up. Rather confusing I would say. But what really gets me is that I haven't seen myself yet listed.

Sorry to have gotten off the beaten track. The best of wishes to Ray today.

posted Hide Post
If you do an ordinary Google search for "biplane1", you are actually the third item listed. Some webmasters would kill to get third place in a Google listing!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Hey! I did a Google image search on "Braling II"
and my picture came up! I look better than I thought I would, too!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil,

You are absolutely correct. What I did wrong was to enter biplane 1 with a space between biplane and 1 and came up with a whole differen list. Wow! What a deal!

posted Hide Post
My name has nothing to do with R.B., it comes from the Heinlin novel' "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress." Mycroftholmes was the name of the sentient computer who played a pivotal role in the story. I use it as a screen name simply because it is the earliest reference I have found in s.f. to an internet-like system. (Mycroft accessed data files and communicated to people via a moon colony's phone lines.)

Posts: 48 | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh, actually, Mycroft Holmes was Sherlock's brother, you know. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle predates Heinlein by quite a span of years.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Faler is my real last name.

It mean's mistake in German. (Fehler)

The reason I use my actual name, is because I've got a novel published. And, putting my name on a forum can't hurt.

The bastards who write my royalties check, decided to go with the name "Sergeant Faler" in an attempt to milk my militery past. Ahh, it feels icky to be using a militery title as a penname.

Posts: 106 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
microftholmes,

First off, I love your name choice and your reasons for it. Secondly, Bralling II is absolutely right--and you probably know all this already but just in case:

To really get an idea of why Heinlein chose that name for his “Dinkum Thinkum”, check out the only two Sherlock Holmes stories that Microft appeared in, “The Greek Interpreter” in “The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes” and “The Bruce-Partington Plans” in “His Last Bow”. Incidentally, he’s only mentioned in two other tales; “The Final Problem” in “The Memoirs” and “The Empty House” in “The Return of Sherlock Holmes".

"TANSTAAFL"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Faler--Long time no talk. Welcome back!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post