Ray Bradbury Forums
Joe Mugliani “The Praying Mantis Vehicle” drawing

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/7827020386

05 June 2019, 07:46 AM
fakirone
Joe Mugliani “The Praying Mantis Vehicle” drawing
Hey there, wanted to share something with you all. When I was a kid I read The Martian Chronicles and LOVED it (as I’m sure most of you all did). One of the things that I particularly enjoyed about the book was the illustrations, the Praying Mantis Vehicle especially. One day I noticed a picture on my grandmother’s wall, this picture of the Praying Mantis to be exact and I asked her about it. Turns out that she was friends with “Joe” and described him as a wonderful man and good friend, and that he gave her this piece. I immediately put in my bid to own it one day and this Sunday past was that day.
I am feel that it is the original drawing, but have no way to be certain. It is on very heavy paper, textured (very hard to see in pictures), and ALL of the prints that I have found online are of the Mantis facing to the right, the reverse of this left facing picture.

Anyways, just thought that I would share.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fakirone,

Meh, just me.
05 June 2019, 07:29 PM
dandelion
WOW, AWESOME!!!
08 June 2019, 12:51 PM
Richard
fakirone, I also have a copy of the print of this wonderful image, an etching with the mantis facing right. Based on the "bite" that the image has left in the paper on your copy included in your post, I suspect your image is also an original etching rather than an original drawing. That is definitely Mr. Mugnaini's handwriting at the bottom of the image. As for why your copy has the mantis facing left rather than right, probably only the late Mr. Mugnani could explain for sure. However, Mr. Mugnaini occasionally did different proofs of his prints, and it could be that your copy is simply an alternate version.
11 June 2019, 07:42 AM
fakirone
Thanks for the info!

Meh, just me.