Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Help: Short story titles

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help: Short story titles
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,
I'm trying to find the titles for some short stories I read a long, long time ago. I believe they're Bradbury stories. Any help appreciated:

1. A story in which children are 'taped' rather than taught, so they acquire information from machines rather than classrooms, and are thus trained for whatever role they'll fulfill in society. Some people are unsuitable for 'taping', and it's generally believed they are stupid, and are sent to special institutions. However it turns out that they are actually exceptionally gifted, and will form the next generation of inventors, etc.

2. A very short story about artificially bringing people down to the same physical and mental level. The main protaganists are a male and female who are forced to wear thick glasses to induce migraines, ear-pieces that ring regularly to disrupt their thoughts, weights to slow their movements, etc. The couple rebel and tear off their impediments, but are ultimately shot.

It's really (1) I'm mainly interested in, as it's for a paper on education I'm writing for my employer (a University).
Thanks,
James

Posts: 2 | Registered: 26 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've just discovered (finally) that (1) is actually 'Profession' by Isaac Asimov.

And it seems (2) is 'Harrison Bergeron' by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I really did look for hours for these before posting, and have now just stumbled across them! Sorry!
James

Posts: 2 | Registered: 26 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Jarm, welcome to the board - and congratulations on answering your own questions!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post