Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    An odd request...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An odd request...
 Login/Join

posted
I seem to have lost my copy of Something Wicked This Way Comes (tell me it ain't so!). I've ordered a replacement, but I'm working on an illulstration and would like an expert or three to help refresh my memory on some details.

IIRC, the dust witch's enclosure (kiosk? case?) was described as being emblazoned with 'Madame Tarot'. Is that indeed correct?

Also, I'm almost positive her eyes were described as stitched shut, but I can't remember for sure about her lips.

If someone would care to provide the passage where she is first desribed (should fall easily under 'fair use'), that would be perfect. Otherwise, answers to those questions should do me nicely until my replacement copy arrives.

TIA!
-spyderbytes

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A mechanic, working at the back of an upright glass-fronted coffin booth, released a trip wire. This made a last cog click within the machinery under the sign, MLLE TAROT, THE DUST WITCH. The wax woman's figure within the glass box nodded her head and fixed the boys with her pointing nose as the boys passed, leading the men. Her cold wax hand brushed the Dust of Destiny on a ledge within the coffin. Her eyes did not see; they were sewn shut with laced black-widow web, dark threads." (pp 79-80, The Grand Master Editions, 1962) Hope this helps.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post