Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    On the turntable?
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 40

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the turntable?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
There is a lot of lore surrounding that album as you may already know Braling. Google it and you may be astounded. She is an interesting sidenote in Americana.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robo!!! EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FAVOUR by The Moody Blues?!? In high school we used to get... um... err... well, we liked listening to the song "Procession". "Soft Parade" by The Doors off the album of the same name was also very cool when we were... umm... err... well, listening to music. I don't think I've ever been the same since first hearing "Procession". It was the first piece of music that revealed itself to me in layers. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone not familiar with the song. It's got kind of an African beat, but it changes. Back and forth, it moves. Up and down, it moves. Takes you on a tour, but it's a smooth ride. Around and around the globe it goes. Headphones. You gotta hear it with headphones.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grass, yeah, I love the Moody's. I just got that l.p. and A Question Of Balance last week. Both other than the hits on them I had never heard before. I had about five other albums too which always for want of a better phrase struck a chord deep within me. I have to say that I really dig A Question Of Balance far more than Every Good Boy Deserves Favour but it rocks too. I'm actually listening to A.Q.O.B. right now, its awesome. Also deserving mention is To Our Childrens Childrens Children, On The Threshold Of The Dream, and Days Of Future Passed. Some of my alltime favorite music, so mellow and intense at the same time. It has been a very busy rough day at work and it went bad. I was worrying about stuff at work that was none of my business and it all whipped back and bit me in the rear. Weird how kharma works sometimes, paybacks and all. Live and learn though, I feel better now, I can relaxe on my day off as I do lawn work with mindfullness!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
Robo!!! EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FAVOUR by The Moody Blues?!? In high school we used to get... um... err... well,
================================================

Now you are going to make me fire up the turntable and put on Days of Future Past. I can close my eyes right now and hear Mike Pendar start out... Email me backchannel and I'll tell you are great MB story that'll really make you feel old.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Breathe deep the gathering gloom..."

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good one B-Two. Great music evokes a myriad of multitudiness images inside my brain much like Bradbury does with words. What really gets me about Ray's writing, and he does it with a minimum of words, is that it evokes so much feeling and pictures and sensory onslaught. Especially true to me is great jazz like Coleman and Davis with free flowing images coming out of pure improvisation, ahh if only I could really live that way, without a net.

jkt, I implore you to tell your story on this thread. I for one would love to read about it being an avid MB fan.

>~ E.L.P., Brain Salad Surgery- Yes, it is scrambling my brain just the way I like it!

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rocket:
jkt, I implore you to tell your story on this thread. I for one would love to read about it being an avid MB fan.[QUOTE]

In a prior life, I worked computer conventions as the head of computer club volunteers for Atari. Atari was the first computer company to be represented at the major music convention, NAMM, which was held across the street from Disneyland.

Among the Atari spokespersons were the likes of Mick Fleetwood and Michael Pendar. (Name-dropping required) On the second day of the event Mike comes in a little stooped over and I ask him what was wrong. He replies (insert a very English accent here, delete expletives) that last night he took his boys to Disneyland for a couple hours and he woke up with a sore back. He goes on to lament that on the first tour that MB did, in America, they lived on a bus, had no roadies and no days off for three months. Not to mention no sleep but had the time of his life. His final comment was something like this, “Here I am with a sore back after spending a couple hours on the Matterhorn. Where did the time go?” Mick Fleetwood walk up behind him and says, “Join the club brother.”

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Headphones, you say? Electric Ladyland -Jimi Hendrix!

I still have my original dbl. lp (in great shape) and now able to once again enjoy it due to the recent tune-up on the ol' equipment!

Listened to Portrait of Ella Fitzgerald this p.m. and was struck by the suddenly familiar lines out of "Darktown Strutter's Ball!" Anyone know why that was the case?

Come on, think!
RE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PsG3DTDUJk&mode=related&search=

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... Does Mr. B quote some or all of the lines, "I'm gonna dance off both my shoes
When they play those Jelly Roll Blues.." in one of his stories? Maybe "The Other Foot"? I'm just having a guess here.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sundance, I should have know you were waiting in the wings. Yep, but note the pretty dresses of the women and the fancy hats. Keep diggin' for that title though...

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still guessing, as I'm not quite near my books.
"The Big Black and Wite Game"? "Way In The Middle Of The Air"?

posted Hide Post
Great great story jkt! Thanks for that, it was wonderful!

posted Hide Post
Big Poe nails Jimmy Cosner in the head with a well-aimed peg toward second. Poetic justice.

We just read this aloud in class, and with the song rising out of the metaphor, I must share the song with the students this week.
(Ella's version: orig. Shelton Brooks, 1917 ).

Good diggin', Pard!

posted Hide Post
Aw, shucks, 'twern't nothin'. Jes' a edjicatid guess.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Black and White Game!! 1945. Talk about stepping out of the crowd and saying what was on one's mind. Here you go, on line:
http://books.google.com/books?id=cUi2brBkclUC&pg=PA71&l...i__VjpC4DxZU#PPP1,M1
Marvelous narration!

BrII, you are probably really good at your "guzzinta's," too!