Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    On the turntable?
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 40

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the turntable?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hey, rocket, welcome back. Haven't seen you for a while.

SD are always good. Do you know any Spanish? I'd love to know what the brief burst of speech means at the end of "Only a Fool Would Say That".

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil, I have been rather a lurker lately just "listening" in. That song is on Can't Buy A Thrill, I just put it on. I like S.D. a lot. I don't know spanish but a friend does, I'll try and find that out.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny, you clearly wrote "The Royal Scam", but I somehow saw "Can't Buy a Thrill". Must have been half asleep.

Note to self: Must...get...sleep...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, I actually played the l.p. on Vinyl night at our store. I am D.J. Peterson (don't ask, it's a long story that would require a new thread, maybe you should, hehehe) and I get to spin the songs from yesteryear whilst all of our albums are twenty percent off from 5-7 p.m. It was rather loud in the store during the end of that one song so I couldn't get a translation. Will not forget though. It's probably something like, "is there gas in the car and did you pack the scale?"

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, Robo-Rocket

Just last week I had Steely Dan on the turntable.

At the end of "Only A Fool Would Say That" they say..... d-r-r-rum roll pleaze..... "Solamente un tonto diria eso," over and over with an occaissional "y" thrown in.

Translation: "only a fool would say that" and occaissionally "AND only a fool would say that"

Today, I listened to The Beatles 1962-1966, The English Beat WHA'HAPPENED, and UB40 - LABOUR OF LOVE.

... and YES, I did drink Red, Red Wine. I lost my kids to Ex-Spouse four days ago. But it's okay, really. They have their destiny, and I suddenly have ALL THIS TIME ON MY EVIL LITTLE HANDS!!!

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks rocket and grasstains for the translation. I will listen again and see if that's what I thought I heard.

rocket, "is there gas in the car" is a line from Kid Charlemagne. The "scale" reference is the line before, in the same song: "Clean that mess up else we'll all end up in jail, the test tube and the scale, let's get it all outa here".

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
... and YES, I did drink Red, Red Wine. I lost my kids to Ex-Spouse four days ago. But it's okay, really. They have their destiny, and I suddenly have ALL THIS TIME ON MY EVIL LITTLE HANDS!!!

Red, red wine is good; losing kids is not - my condolences to you. Glad to see you're making the best of it.

I'm sure it'll turn out OK for you.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grasstains, I wish you all the best in this difficult time. This was my first summer without a visitation with my son. At 17, he has a job, school, and his own life. I wish I owned stock in Coors.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be fine. This will open up opportunities for me. As for the kids, I think they'll be fine too. They're God's children, I was just taking care of them for a while. Now Ex-Spouse can do it... for a small fee, I'm sure. Slimeball.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
~Harry Chapin, Sniper and Other Love Songs.

Because of my sporadic postings of late, I just read this one as I'm getting ready for work. grass, I am so sorry for your loss! Hang in there kid, it's gotta get better. Lemme know if I can help in any capacity.

posted Hide Post
Buddy Guy, "Damn Right, I Got the Blues!"
-Ironic, vacation over. Putting finishing touches on my room. Students rush in tomorrow...7:45am.

Not so bad though. I get to do Ray Bradbury's works with sophs and seniors! Thanks, Mr. B.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
~Hot Tuna, Final Vinyl. nuff said.

posted Hide Post
Jackson Browne's HOLD OUT.

Robo, Jackson Browne is from your old neck of the woods. He's from Fullerton or Anaheim Hills and attended Sunny Hills High School.

posted Hide Post
~The Moody Blues, A Question Of Balance.

grass, not a big J.B. fan but that's interesting.

posted Hide Post
Linda Rondstadt's MAD LOVE.

-and-

Rockwell's SOMEBODY'S WATCHING ME. Both Jermaine AND Michael sing on the album. That's Michael singing "I always feel like somebody's watching me." That's all he does. Well, maybe that's him going "O-O-WO-O" too. I'm not sure what Jermaine's contribution to the album is, but he is also credited. Perhaps Jermaine does the "O-O-WO-O".