Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    On the turntable?
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 40

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the turntable?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Pink Floyd is the ONLY cure for a hangover.

Scored an old Johnny Nash album ("I Can See Clearly Now", "Stir It Up" etc.) for 99 centavos at a thriftstore, scored a box of Peter Vella Burgandy at Wal*Mart, and scored a killer buzz at home. They go together sooooo nicely.

Did You Know???
----
Johnny Nash sang the theme song to that old HERCULES cartoon from the early 70s--"Fire in his eyes, Iron in his thighs, It's the mighteee Hercules!"

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I'm speechless grass although I certainly know what you mean. Been trying to plug back into the family after drifting a touch lately. Decided to take the three kids fishing (wife wanted nothing to do with it, yeck!). I think its going to be a breeze after dinner the other night. I had to get a license first so I stop at the bait shop near home and it went up here to $20.00 and that's all I had and I needed bait too. I said, I'll use my card. The seemingly mean haggard woman behind the counter says the machines broken. I say, can't you do it manually, no. So I drive back home and get more money and go back there where she informs me that she was referring to the fishing license machine and not the credit card. Aaaah! I go to three more places including Kroger, their machine was down, before driving to Walmart and getting set. I just had to stop and get snacks and two twenty four ounce Heinekens(?)for my trouble. We had an awesome time after that, we all caught small fish which we released and a guy brought a huge snapping turtle down to the lake and released it close by. He had found it crossing a road. Then at dark, these bats started flying around, about forty of them, it was cool.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enough of that nonsense. I've snapped out of it. For a minute there (or was it an entire week?) I actually thought the booze would help this annual empty-nest-syndrome which accompanies the kids spending the summer with Ex-Spouse. It worked for a day or two. It felt great to sit at a bar and drink my old drink, and talk to old friends, and make new ones. Getting back in touch with me Irish roots, you see. Start drinking at home at 11:00 A.M. on a Sunday or brown-bagging Boone's Farm Fuzzy Navel at the Ren-Faire under a shady tree while reading a book with my head lying back in Spouse's lap. That day was heaven... and the start of it all. I ended up getting more depressed as the week wore on and the box o' wine got smaller. I haven't had a single drink to drop since my above post.

At the Ren-Faire I bought a neat little button made of fake bone which reads "Shiver Me Liver".

"Shiver Me Liver"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Joe Jackson's second album I'M THE MAN on the turntable. Look him up on Amazon, his early stuff (first 3 albums) is amazing. His debut album LOOK SHARP has the immortal "Is She Really Going Out With Him?" but I think his third album BEAT CRAZY is my fave. It's pretty much a toss-up between the three.

"Shiver Me Liver"

posted Hide Post
The Man's final album:

Johnny Cash A Hundred Highways

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
Enough of that nonsense. I've snapped out of it. For a minute there (or was it an entire week?) I actually thought the booze would help this annual empty-nest-syndrome which accompanies the kids spending the summer with Ex-Spouse. It worked for a day or two. It felt great to sit at a bar and drink my old drink, and talk to old friends, and make new ones. Getting back in touch with me Irish roots, you see. Start drinking at home at 11:00 A.M. on a Sunday or brown-bagging Boone's Farm Fuzzy Navel at the Ren-Faire under a shady tree while reading a book with my head lying back in Spouse's lap. That day was heaven... and the start of it all. I ended up getting more depressed as the week wore on and the box o' wine got smaller. I haven't had a single drink to drop since my above post.

At the Ren-Faire I bought a neat little button made of fake bone which reads "Shiver Me Liver".

"Shiver Me Liver"

What I have learned since I was given a second chance after bladder cancer is that when the stress is getting too high, and one begins to think about medicinal remedies of any kind to escape that stress, in the end the stress will only increase, leading to a downward spiral of high and lower, until there is nothing left but death as the final escape. Staring into the black hole of death and then fighting to live has taught me that living is a gift and that the way to live life is to take it one breath at a time.

When the stress feeling comes on now, I remember what is really important in my life, living, and the few marvelous people who I have shared my life with, and I then turn away from the stressor and begin to again marvel at the little things that give pleasure. A butteryfly, a bird, the sight of ducks, usually two, mated for life, on the wing, flowers, the night sky with the question it brings about the universe and how small we are and how big it is. The beauty that I can find in these and others of the kind provide the relief from the nonsense of the daily world's micro-problems, which often can seem so large as to overwhelm us.

Then, I am alive again and feel much like Doug Spalding in Dandelion Wine, when he discovers that he is alive for the first time. That first-time feeling can be had each time, if you only look at the world through the eyes of a child again. Your spirit will rise and become one with the spirits of the other forms of live around you and you will just be, happier.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, happiness RAWKS!!!

Before, I'd never really felt or noticed the mood-change as I did this last time. Never really pinned it on the drinking, anyway. This time it was obvious, and it sounds as if you know exactly what I'm describing here.

Thanks for sharing, Patrask.

"Shiver Me Liver"

posted Hide Post
Still got Joe Jackson on the turntable.

"Shiver Me Liver"

posted Hide Post
Rosanne Cash Interiors

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading a great book: This Wheel's On Fire by Levon Helm. All about the history, trials and tibualtions of the members of what is discribed by many as the best Rock and Roll band ever - The Band. Can't stop playing the four CDs from The Last Waltz. I want someone from this generation to take on the mantle and play this kind of music again. Pure magic.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
I want someone from this generation to take on the mantle and play this kind of music again. Pure magic.

I don't know if that will ever happen. The Band is kind of like The Beatles - you are unlikely to ever see someone like them again.

Ever listen to Robbie Robertson's brilliant album Robbie Robertson?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Tiny Tim, "Tiptoe Through The Tulips".

Imagetinytim.jpg (21 Kb, 5 downloads)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now I enjoy Tiny Tim as much as the next person, but that's one ugly fellow!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
He looked a little better as Larry Love...

Imagelarrylove1952.jpg (30 Kb, 8 downloads)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steely Dan~The Royal Scam

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post