Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    On the turntable?
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 40

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the turntable?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Nothin' but "Fiddler on the Roof."

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Hey Doug, have you heard the version on the "Brian Wilson presents SMiLE" album from a couple of years ago? The vocal harmonies on that are superb.

Yes, in fact I had just previewed it on YouTube for potential posting, but went with the other version primarily because the vocal synchronization was off on the video. Brian says this band is the best vocally speaking of his two bands (he was previously with a band called The Beach Boys).

I have the deluxe version with the DVD of the premiere concert in London (with Sir Paul in the audience), and agree that it is superb - it was worth the forty year wait!

Further, I was in the audience when Brian played Smile in its entirety at the Hollywood Bowl three years ago. Best concert I've ever been to (my previous best ever was when I saw Brian do the Pet Sounds album live a few years before).

Vocally speaking is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During those gigs, how many times did BW actually touch his keyboard? (On the DVDs it looks as if he just uses it to hide behind.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
During those gigs, how many times did BW actually touch his keyboard? (On the DVDs it looks as if he just uses it to hide behind.)
Well, as a person who's independently not wealthy, I couldn't really afford the good seats, so I can't say for sure, but it seems I may have seen him touch them at least once.

One has to have one's security blanket, does one not?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More Brian.

Ye gods, what an ear for music!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Okay, I have to re-submit...at least 1/2 of my choices.

This was my favorite singer.

And she was and still is my absolute favorite singer for a whole lot of reasons, one being that this particular song always makes me weep. Sort of like reading one of several Bradbury stories, where I go into a room and weep as I move thru the 4th and 5th paragraphs. There is no video here of her singing, but a...montage of sorts of stuff... and the wonderful voice!!! And, oh, what a rendition of 'A Taste of Honey'!!

I had posted my favorite on the '''absolute opposite end''' of the spectrum of music-selections, but later deleted it when I thought how she's more than just crazy. Amazing unbridled talent, tho! (hint: she was an opera prodigy when she was a mere 9 years old.) Maybe I'll sneak a posting of a selection of hers someday for an hour or so...or so!

In the meanwhile, my absolutely favorite singer, and the lady who portrayed the wife of Marlon Brando in the movie, The Godfather ...Morgana King:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1VVJ5B5u-c

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Morgana King recommendation. Never heard it before, great voice.

Now playing:

Paolo Angeli - Tessuti

Wonderful electric cello playing.

Posts: 7 | Location: Skien, Norway | Registered: 07 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Norge, eh?
Are you familiar with Bjelleklang?
My (somewhat distant) cousin Ole is on the far right here...
http://www.bjelleklang.no/platene/svart.html

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In reference to Brian not playing the keyboard--I have seen him on at least three occasions on Letterman, Leno, etc. and not once did he touch the keyboard. It is merely a prop. I read his autobiography several years ago and it is a miracle that the guys is still alive and can sing. He did things to his body and mind that no one should ever do and I am sure, as it appears obvious, he is NOT the same Brian Wilson today that he was as a younger man.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's true Michael. I actually saw him once (fairly recently) in concert when he had his bass guitar on.

I know him slightly (not well) as he goes to my church, although the most I've ever done is chat with he and his spouse after services.

Last we spoke, if I can recall, we were talking about the new Smile album, which I thanked him for compleating, and told him it was one of the most aesthetically beautiful things I've ever heard, to which he replied matter-of-factly, "yeah, Smile was a good album." (That's what we call an understatement folks.)

I then said that I'd like to take them out to lunch sometime after church, and they both said that they would like that.

We'll see what happens there - he's on the road a lot now.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
There is a documentary on the Smile project (I think it's on the DVD), and from that it seems evident that it was being driven by his collaborators (particularly a guy from The Wondermints, whose name escapes me). The CD is beautiful - I love to play it in the car with the volume up full.

I've seen BW play the piano in more intimate settings, such as studio recording and interviews, but biplane1 is right, it's usually a prop for live performance when there's an audience present.

There's also a really nice BW live CD (Live at the Roxy?). That guy has the best Beach Boys tribute band of all time!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a documentary on the Smile project (I think it's on the DVD), and from that it seems evident that it was being driven by his collaborators (particularly a guy from The Wondermints, whose name escapes me).

I think you're referring to Darian Sahanaja, if I remember the documentary correctly.

quote:
There's also a really nice BW live CD (Live at the Roxy?). That guy has the best Beach Boys tribute band of all time!

Yeah, it's Live at the Roxy, I have the CD. Brian has referred to the Wondermints as being better vocalists than The Beach Boys.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
What are you doin' Miles?

Puttin' one foot in front of the other.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...I think you're referring to [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darian_Sahanaja]Darian Sahanaja...

Yeah, that's him. No wonder I couldn't recall his name!

- Phil