Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    On the turntable?
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 40

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the turntable?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Better at guzzowtas.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kinda like three rights make a left?!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right!
...er, uh, correct!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make Do With What You Got Solomon Burke

The King!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GOODWILL THRIFTSTORE Grand Opening today.

CCR - Cosmo's Factory
The Dueling Banjos - DELIVERENCE Soundtrack
WC FIELDS and MAE WEST - The Day I Had A Glass Of Water

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
WC FIELDS and MAE WEST - The Day I Had A Glass Of Water

I have an old Fields LP with The Day I Drank a Glass of Water on it - wonderful!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The DELIVERANCE soundtrack is awesome. I never knew I liked banjo music.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Gordon Lightfoot collection today. I think I remember Robo-Rocket mentioning Gordon Lightfoot once. I'm too lazy to check.

I went to visit my step-daughter back in the ghetto the other day. Her upstairs neighbor, a mexican hombre, was sitting in a chair outside his door strumming a banjo. I just stood there, looking up at him, obviously in astonishment. He stopped playing and looked down at me, as if to say "may I help you?". I shook it off, collected myself, and promptly vanished inside step-daughter's apartment. Today I stopped by again and dropped off a book for grand-daughter. Jose Strummer was taking garbage out to the dumpster and gave me a very enthusiastic ola', as if he remembered me, or as if to say "It's okay, don't be frightened".

Banjo-playing Mexicans..... what will they think of next?

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

posted Hide Post
When mariachi bands include bagpipes, I'll be very concerned.

posted Hide Post
>~ Neil Young, On The Beach.

LOL B-Two, I'm trying to fathom what that might sound like...possibly like a couple drunk martians playing a grasshopper harp and a locust flute.

grass, love Gordon Lightfoot. He just was in town about three weeks ago playing The Palace. Our awesome revamped ancient movie theatre downtown that is used for musicians and entertainers (been to many a highfalooten(?) affair there) My wife and I went to Jerry Seinfeld there. It was great because there was a lady next to me who put the tweety pez despenser on her chair next to me, truth! Anyway, I wish I could have gone to see Gordon but didn't have the bread. My fav is The Sinking Of The Edmund Fitzgerald. That is so haunting to me like Cats In The Cradle is and so many others from that period, most or a lot were one hit wonders. For some reason, your description of going back to the ghetto reminded me of a Ray Bradbury story, I think it involved music too and being real hot or something and the husband getting real mad about something but then cooling off or looking at things differently, just can't remember, might be combining tales as well, sorry.

Oh, I almost forgot a good score yesterday. I got Pink Floyd, Dark Side Of The Moon with both posters and the stickers in immaculate shape( a real rarity these days) that my boss priced at $7.98 and with discount cost me half that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
Neil Young, On The Beach.

What a coincidence - that was on my turntable about a week ago, and what's more, I played it.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Mingus- "Ah Um"
Khachaturian- Spartacus and Gayaneh.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there isn't a good book waiting to be written about the double entendre in the names of rock groups. I am sure that they are all based on the Vance Packard idea of subliminal messages and images. The youth are so good at this, and they love to trick us older folk with their little word games, eh. What IS a Pink Floyd? My favorites are TOOL and the female equivalent HOLE. We all knew it would come down from the dirty buggie to doin' the F--K, but it really took so very long, and now what else is there to look forward to, back to the old, as the new new?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
>~ The Rolling Stones, Aftermath.....paint it black you devil!

Everything cycles back around patrask, styles music, home furnishing. I personally miss our old bright orange and yellow mushroom wallpaper with the shiny olive cabinets in our kitchen when I was a kid. Do I dare bring it back and cause the kids to have coniption(?)fits? I just may try it.

Doug that is wonderful, ironic, and amazing. I used to live in Placentia and play in Fullerton from 1976-1980 and then again from 1984 to 1987 and I saw some stunning shows (that aside from all the Dead shows I saw). Two rank as all time favorites that I am currently undergoing deep professional hypnosis to recover the memory of. Well maybe three. Here they are in order.

1. My first rock show ever, 1977(78?), summer, Anaheim Stadium. The ticket stated Boston With Friends. (sorry, we hated Boston, still do) In actuality it was Sammy Hagar, Van Halen (who supposedly sky-dived to the stage), and Black Sabbath with Ozzie who came on at sunset. We rolled twenty one joints between three people and I wore a stupid safari hat with a huge stupid looking peacock feather attached to it that basically annoyed anyone I stood in front of. By the end of the evening, it was totally trashed as I was too. We left after Sabbath and roamed the streets before the designated pick up of a parent. I remember having a doozie of a headache after.

2. Neil Young, Rust Never Sleeps at the L.A. Forum. My parents explicitely banned me from even thinking about going to this on a school night( I was 15). They told me the consequences and I made the calculated decision to go. Good call, one of the best ever! Well worth the aftermath.

3. When I originally heard Pink Floyd's The Wall the first time, I was perplexed because it was so different than anything they had done prior to that, but it grew on me fast and soon became our anthem. When I saw the double page spread in the newspaper advertising seven nights of Floyd at the new Los Angeles Sports Arena, I knew I had to be there. It was mail order, so I quickly sent mine off not thinking about including the self addressed stamped envelope. I was shocked when I called the ticket outlet and they said my money would be refunded through the mail. Plus by this time, it was sold out. Someone in the office was kind enough though to provide postage and an envelope and mail my tickets to me. It was an intense amazing experience to see The Wall performed live. I was there the first night and they had a giant airplane that crashed in the first couple of songs and of course, it caught a curtain on fire and they had to stop the show and then in the rest of the gigs they didn't fly it anymore. They added three more shows to make it an even ten sold out.

An interesting footnote; a few years after moving home, I happened to be visiting my grandma and I saw some rags in her garage and noticed that they were all cut from all of my best concert t-shirts, I saw bits of The Wall, Rust Never Sleeps, and various Dead shirts along with my Dead Kennedys, Ramones, and The Damned, yes I was into punk heavily too. I couldn't believe my mom had done that, all she said was that they all had holes in them!!! What!!!? Parents just don't get it, and I'm experiencing it from the other side of the coin now.

patrask, Pink Floyd, the name comes from two old blues players and at the moment I cannot think of both their full names.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, in just a few hours, I'm going to the 50th annual Monterey Jazz Festival to see Sonny Rollins!!! Dave Brubeck and Ornette Coleman too! Unbelievable. This has been sold out for a long time; so how did I get a ticket? More on this anon ...

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post