Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    On the turntable?
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 40

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the turntable?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
Steely Dan, Countdown To Ecstacy Smiler

...Any man left on the Rio Grande is the King of the World as far as I know...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Butch, remember Marty Robbins? He did a great version of "Cool Water". There's a clip here...
http://www.amazon.com/Gunfighter-Ballads-Trail-Songs-Ro.../002-7778567-9908014

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice fjp, I like. I'll keep my eyes peeled for them. I have a Mitch Miller album I have not listened to yet. I'll pull it out, actually I have a decent amount of folk and bluegrass I haven't gotten around to even listening to yet. Listening to Carol King, Rhymes & Reasons. I love her music and playing, I just realized she sounds a lot like Neil Young, wonder if there is a connection...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I often contemplate I may have been a part of the Old West, at another conscious or unconscious level. Just finished a quick reading of Shane, by Jack Fletcher. (What a classic movie version with Alan Ladd, Jack Palance, Van Heflen, Jean Arthur..."That's fine stump pie, Marion!")

http://www.modaentertainment.com/shane/movie.htm

One of the best barroom fight scenes ever! Shane is not unlike Spender on Mars. He just wanted things to be fairly tended to. When push came to shove, knuckle sandwiches!

I traveled throughout the West right out of college for a few months. I plan to do it again with my wife and young sidekicks, sooner rather than later. Simply a spectacular country!

On the old Victrola tonight though, Ella Fitgerald, Paul Horn, and now some Herbie Mann.
(Grades due, tap...tap...tap...)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trying out this newfangled, multi-tasking, read and listen stuff. "The Fray" spinning right now, sounds good. Might be on to something.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Butch, which Paul Horn CD? Got to meet him. One of his best LPs is "Cycle", probably out of print now... He also backs up Ken Nordine on the old "Word Jazz" and "Son of Word Jazz" LPs.

Rocky, Mitch Miller?! I think he used to play jazz clarinet and/or oboe.
Just to show you how much our culture has changed (not for the better), remember his TV show "Sing Along With Mitch"? Just imagine a show like that today - families watching TV together and singing together the old tunes... I think his biggest hit, by the way, was "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" of which version Stan Freberg did a great parody!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SD: Paul Horn ~ when and how did your paths cross?
Nice selection of samples at the bottom of this site:
http://www.amazon.com/Brazilian-Images/dp/B000003P10

Taste a few morsels!

Which reminds me of a completely unrelated, but tantalizing, poem by Ezra Pound:
L'Art (c.1910)
Green arsenic smeared on an egg-white cloth,
Crushed strawberries!
Come, let us feast our eyes!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw the Hornster at a Donovan concert in Oregon in the early 70s (was already a fan) and then met him after a concert in SF some years later.

posted Hide Post
Listening to Bob Dylan now.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones!!!

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.accuradio.com/radiocelt/

Scottish rock.

Love their tag - "If it's not Scottish, it's crap!"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FLOGGING FRIGGING MOLLY!!!

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished listening to the Who's Tommy side three and four. Gonna grab a quick smoke and put something more mellow on.....tick.....tick....tick(my lonely desk clock, Braling...), in other words, be back....

wow! I'm back, and my clock has stopped or wait a minute, no time has lapsed and why does that book say "Ocksferd Desc Deixshonairee". I think I stepped on a book mite by accident...

>listenin to Joan, Diamonds And Rust, so very very haunting and cryptic.

>love Dylan, also The Dead, many others of late...(a smiley face, but w/out the dorky icon)

>just can't stop myself Smiler!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pete Townsend said that TOMMY was "the last act of a desperate man" because the band was soooo in debt from years of destroying rented equiptment and hotel rooms that if their next album didn't make a HUGE amount of money from sales, get people to buy tickets to their concerts, and get concert promoters to book them, the band would have gone belly-up. In order to do that he knew he would have to write a song better than "I Can See For Miles". When the album was finished he still didn't have that song, until an executive from the record company said the album was garbage, pure rubbish because there was nothing to get the listener to care about this deaf, dumb, and blind boy. Townsend claims that then and there, completely out of nowhere and off the cuff he said, "Oh, did I mention he plays pinball?" To which the exec replied, "It's a bloody brilliant album!" and within minutes Townsend had "Pinball Wizard" scribbled out. They went back in the studio and recorded the song, changed some of the other songs to include the pinball aspect, and Pete knew he had his song "better than 'I Can See For Miles'" and the rest is history. Probably none of this is true.

My favorite songs on the record are:
"Overture"
"I'm A Sensation"
and "I'm Free"

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
...and Pete knew he had his song "better than 'I Can See For Miles'" and the rest is history. Probably none of this is true.

It may be true, but what isn't true is that Pinball Wizard is better than I Can See For Miles. It isn't.

It is a fine tune, tho.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post