Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    On the turntable?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 40

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the turntable?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Well hello Ravenswake, good to see your post, hope all is well w/you & family. Last week I got a box set album of Chicago playing Carnegie Hall Vol. 1-4 for $3.00. I haven't listened to it yet. I agree with you, Chicago is awesome!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocky, having quite a musical adventure, arent you? And this is - Only The Beginning!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
Last week I got a box set album of Chicago playing Carnegie Hall Vol. 1-4 for $3.00. I haven't listened to it yet. I agree with you, Chicago is awesome!

Old Chicago is awesome. Heard some live stuff from them on XM recently and was reminded how great they used to be before they succumbed to radio-play-sappy-poppy stuff.

They rocked!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's amazing is that I'm buying and trying out a lot of bands and genres that I would never have done when I was in highschool. Already, I have more records than I did back then. Most of the lps with my discount are bought for .12 cents so I can afford to expand on whatever looks interesting. Jazz, classical, pop, rock, you name it, I'm trying it. John Coltrane is a new fav. Let me ask you B-Two, who do you like better between Beethoven, Mozart, or Bach? How about jazz suggestions, please on all accounts. Thanks.Smiler

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...who do you like better between Beethoven, Mozart, or Bach?

Rossini, actually - the greatest composer ever (even better than Brian Wilson and The Beatles)!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All's well, rocket, hope you and yours are great! Part of the joy of having teenagers is we get to listen to each other's music. How they can study and listen to Hawthorne Heights though, I'll never know.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocketman, Wow. Tall order. I enjoy so many different things.
I love singing Bach, but I listen more to Beethoven. The 2nd movement of his 7th synphony is one of the most beautiful things ever written. Doug's suggestion of Rossini is worthy too - check out a collection of his overtures (conducted by Tulio Serafin, if you can find it). Also, Khachaturian's Gayaneh ballet suite and Spartacus. And Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherezade. Mozart's "Requiem"!
As for jazz, Coltrane's amazing. Also Wes Montgomery - try "Bumpin"" and "Smokin' At The Half Note". Any Django Reinhardt. Rahsaan Roland Kirk is fun. He was a blind multi-instrumantalist, often playing 3 reeds at a time! Try "Bright Moments" (I was in the audience!) and "Rip, Rig And Panic".
Bill Evans at the Village Vanguard. Ahmad Jamal at the Pershing. Kenny Wheeler, "The Widow In The Window".
And...Allan Sherman and...Spike Jones!
This all off the top of my head. I'm sure I've left out many favourites...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, thank you so much for the input, its greatly appreciated. I'm going to have to write this down. I will keep my eyes open for this stuff, keep in mind the albums come in sporadically. But get this, I have an Allan Sherman lp, its Allan In Wonderland. I bought it because of the amazing closeup picture of him on the cover and the title, hold on, putting it on the turntable as I'm posting this...

p.s. thanks to you Doug too, will look for Rossini as well.

Glad your doing well Raven, I know what you mean about the kids, my daughter is thirteen going on a placid thirty alternating to a Great San Francisco Earthquake fifty. In other words with the harmonal shifts, I never know which daughter I will be talking to. For the most part, she's a good kid. Not really enamored with rap though, like some of the hip hop she does.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

posted Hide Post
Allan Sherman is a hoot. Its a live show from Hollywood with USC students from '63. I just realized that I have Coltrane, Ole' too. Just slow down, don't want to get overwhelmed. Knowing my mentality I will though....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Allan Sherman is a hoot. Its a live show from Hollywood with USC students from '63.

Sherman is quite funny.

http://povonline.com/images9/sherman04.jpg

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Robo,

As for jazz try Ramsey Lewis and his supergroup The Urban Knights. Also, Joyce Cooling and Wayman Tisdale have about the coolest sounds going at the moment. Joyce plays guitar out of San Francisco, while Wayman is a bassist from the Oklahoma City/Sacramento/Phoenix areas (dude gets around).

I'm listening to LITTLE VILLAGE (Nick Lowe, Ry Cooder, John Hiatt) a country-blues-rock supergroup. I hate country but I eagerly pursue anything Nick Lowe is involved with.

================================================

"I don't know anything."

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those who like downloading music should really go for Joyce Cooling's song "Mm-Mm Good" where she duets with Al Jarraue(sp?). You'll dig it, I guar-rowntee-it.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's what I hope to own someday:

http://www.rhinohandmade.com/browse/ProductLink.lasso?Number=7891
I have many of Sherman's LPs including the below attached.

On "Wonderland", "No One's Perfect" is lots of fun to sing! I got the music and did it with the church choir!

Imagesherman03.jpg (72 Kb, 4 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Hey grasstains!!! Was starting to worry boutcha. There was a longish pause from you. Thanks for the suggestions, will check em out. Thanks.

B-Two, That Allan Sherman is a trip. By the way, you'd better get that box set, it said "Buy It Now" on there. I liturally bought that one album because I liked his face on the cover(I do that a lot). I did that many moons ago with Cream's Disraeli Gears album.

posted Hide Post
quote:
There was a longish pause from you.

Longish is a good word - but a bad amount of time for grass to be away.

We really do miss you.

"Live Forever!"