Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    On the turntable?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 40

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the turntable?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
As good as Louie Prima was, his backup group, Sam Butera and The Witnessess were at least half the reason, but his dead pan beauty, Keely Smith was the other half of his success. Louie would prance around like a mad man, while Keely just stood there and sang, the contrast was just electrifying. Check her out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keely_Smith

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
... and then there's our killer morning radio shows I'm sure you've all heard of by now. That happened right around the corner from where I live.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the "Miles" typo. My keyboard at home misbehaves.

Prima was primo.

OK, some more (as they come to mind)
Betty Carter I'd get "The Betty Carter Album" or "Now It's My Turn". She was a unique jazz singer and a wonderful performer.
Samuel Barber "Adagio For Strings". You may recall that was what was used in the film "The Elephant Man" in the final scene...
Carl Orff "Carmina Burana"! Not sure which recording to recommend. The Atlanta Symphony-Robert Shaw, or the Deutchen Oper-Jochum recordings are great. My favourite is a CD, live, with the Santa Cruz Symphony and the Cabrillo Choir including me!

Some of my favourite LPs were put out by "nonesuch". A lot of those (now on Electra, I think) weren't reissued. They had a great series called "Master Works For Organ" (if you like organ music) and Morton Subotnick's first recordings. He's THE pioneer of pure electronic music. If you like that sort of thing, I'd recommend his first 2 recordings: "The Wild Bull" and (HEY! Braling's finally tying in to Bradbury!) "Silver Apples Of The Moon".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice tie-in B-Two. Yes, I appreciate any and all suggestions from any and all. A special thanks to you Braling, wow you do know your music. My musical horizons have most definitely improved and expanded of late. I no longer answer questions regarding my tastes in the same narrow answers of before, now I simply state that I love all music! That's a pretty big leap for me but I am having oodles of fun constructing my wings on the way down. Although in the scheme of things, I am still a nestling. Grass, sounds like a wonderful way to start and color your day, and end your day as well.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocky, In my teens, something clicked inside me - I'd grown up listening to Gilbert & Sullivan, Al Jolson, show tunes, some classical, etc. quite a variety; so I realized that, by the time I was in my teens, for whatever reason, I'd left all that behind and was just listening to what my peers were listening to. I decided to explore the World of Music, as it were. So, I went to the local library and checked out LPs of music of ALL kinds, pretty much at random. I discovered things I liked and things I didn't; but in so doing I bagan to discover MY tastes, and in a way, myself. Kinda what you seem to be doing now, eh! It's a grand adventure!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now its the Velvet Underground.

Gotta love sxities drug culture, and Andy Warhol!

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
I just don't get the full impact of the reading when I'm distracted by the music I really like to get into. When I'm grooving I'm grooving.

That's right - listening to music is a full-time job. So is reading.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What, no one knows how to multi-task? Like listen to the radio on the music station, watch the Discovery channel on TV, reading a print-out article about Illinois Senator Obama's upbringing as a Muslim, glancing at a current car magazine article, finish sketching a drawing, and write out this posting? No problem!

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Some of my favourite LPs were put out by "nonesuch".

Perhaps my favourite female (why we gotta bring gender into this?) songwriter is on Nonesuch, Sam Phillips:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Phillips_%28singer%29

http://www.samphillipsmusic.com

She's gooood! (Imagine that with an Andy Griffith drawl)

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WildGravity, I need to explore more Velvet Underground, haven't heard a lot and others have told me it is fantastic music.

Listening to Mountain, Twin Peaks, live.

Embroiderer, don't forget the extra mini t.v. with the weather channel 24/7. I'm with you, I have an overpowering need to multi task. Sometimes I can slow down the swirling onslaught and obtain balance, but I usually fall off the highwire, without a net of course. Then I just wing it! When you have kids, that's just your reality.

Doug S., thanks for the heads up. I checked her website out, I noticed a tie-in with The Gilmore Girls. I love that show. I'll be on the lookout for some of her music at the store.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Multi-tasking" eh?
Well, I'm very glad that when I got to see Betty Carter, or Duke Ellington, or Dizzy Gillespie, or Andres Segovia, or (I could go on) Ray Bradbury (!); I did not do anything but pay attention! I wish I was only more attentive.

posted Hide Post
Your point is taken sir. One of the books I hold dearest to my heart is called Wherever You Go There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn. It has helped me immensely to live in the bloom of the present moment and to be there fully. Most of the time, I am simply not capable of accomplishing this seeming simple function of human behavior because of the swirling mass of thoughts racing through my circuitry, but when I completely focus and concentrate, I can do it with poise. Those sometimes are the truly poignant moments and memories that I will treasure the rest of my life.

posted Hide Post
Rocket, you are listening to one of my alltime favorite albums! I must admit, though, I listened to those songs at such young and impressionable ages they permanently warped my perception of human relationships.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocket-

Very innovative, at least for its time. Unfortunately, to an extent theres almost more of a novelty listening to it, than there is a true love for the music. at least among the various beatniks I know.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, and now I;m listening to the smashing pumpkins, 1979

Shakedown, 1979
Cool kids, never have the time

gotta love the ninties