Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    On the turntable?
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 40

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the turntable?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Rocky, I found it on line and listened to a few samples. Pretty good stuff!
Here's a page with some samples off Wes Montgomery's "Bumpin'" you can listen to if you have Windows Media Player...

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Bumpin%27:1921111528;_ylt=A...:20070508,srch:kw,x:

I always associate "A Quiet Thing" with rainy weather as I used to listen to it a lot when I lived in Oregon back in the early '70s.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:
They're playing about 1 hour and twenty minutes drive from here in October, on a worknight, now I'm in a dilemma as to whether I should try to go or not.

Do what I do - take off work!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
>George Harrison, Concert For Bangladesh, Ravi Shankar right now.

Dandelion, I loved The Rifleman so I'm dismayed. I don't think it was on purpose.

B-Two, thanks. I have dial-up so it is sloooow and cuts out but thanks just the same pard!

Fanboy, recently got a hold of a bunch of Tull on vinyl and c.d. I would definitely go some way if I were you. Work will undoubtedly still be there after the show, not sure how long the band will be though. Do yourself a favor and go! Rock-n-roll, whooo-hooooo(holding up lighter....)!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
>George Harrison, Concert For Bangladesh...

My favourite Beatle!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocka-rocka-rocka-billy rules okaaaay?

Yes. The stray cats.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
And...it is VERY bad and wrong of me to post this, but it was very bad and wrong to have taken such a picture, let alone printed it on a product aimed at impressionable children. http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/oddball/index.cgi?date=2001-08-17

Hilarious - I love it!

Reminds of the "not such a good idea for a Harry Potter statue" picture:

"Live Forever!"

ImageHarry_Potter_-_Maybe_Not_the_Best_Idea_for_a_Statue.jpg (68 Kb, 9 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Once again, I disagree with dandelion, and now with Doug Spaulding.

An innocent eye sees nothing wrong with either the rifleman comic cover or the Harry Potter statue.

Once your innocent view of life is broken, you have to fight to keep an innocency about you, but at the same time, you keep an eye out for what others may want to deliberately convey. I venture to say in both instances, The Rifleman comic cover and this statue were creations of someone that did so innocently.

Case in point:
Read (or re-read) Ray Bradbury's short story masterpiece, 'The Illustrated Woman'. Find there a completely innocent scene of great effect: a bare woman is presented to the reader. Yet what we see is an innocent glimpse!

How did he do that? Intuitively innocent with his prose? Or written that way on purpose? Should have asked Bradbury. His answer would have been valuable.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
An innocent eye sees nothing wrong with either the rifleman comic cover or the Harry Potter statue.

You mistake mine for an innocent eye.

quote:
The Rifleman comic cover and this statue were creations of someone that did so innocently.

That makes them even funnier!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
let me give the world to you

The smashing pumpkins

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: Give it up! Your views fall on deaf ears. A rorschach test in simple comic covers? Who'd think?!

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug, yes George Harrison was an amazing man, musician, and loving soul. He was awesome! The Beatles were amazingly awesome for many many reasons and on many many levels!

I agree with Nards assessment on the Rifleman.

WildGravity, I want to try some Smashing Pumpkins, never have explored them much. I know several people who think them the bomb.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
>I almost forgot, Neil Diamond, Love At The Greek. I think B-Two recommended this to me and I finally got it on clearance for fifty cents. Maybe it was Doug, not sure. Thanks though, is good.

posted Hide Post
This may not be for everyone, but if you ever followed Frank Zappa, here is a classic exchange on "Crossfire." It almost seems like Monty Python in a few exchanges, but it is all on the level. Witty and thought provoking discussion of censorship (an always significant topic here):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6526525473785351949

Pajama People!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doug, yes George Harrison was an amazing man, musician, and loving soul. He was awesome! The Beatles were amazingly awesome for many many reasons and on many many levels!

Yes, he was a beautiful soul, and indeed the soul of the Beatles.

I loved when All Things Must Pass came out in 1970 and he more than proved to any remaining doubters that his songwriting talent was equal to Lennon's & McCartney's.

Loved the Wilbury's too, by the way!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
>I almost forgot, Neil Diamond, Love At The Greek. I think B-Two recommended this to me and I finally got it on clearance for fifty cents. Maybe it was Doug, not sure. Thanks though, is good.

Well, if it wasn't me, it should have been. In fact, ND's Hot August Night may be the best live album ever! Rarely has an artist held his audience in the palm of his hand like he did then, and does at every show, really. Have seen him live twice, and he's got every bit as much charisma as Elvis ever did, if not more.

"Live Forever!"