Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray Has A Pulitzer Prize!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Has A Pulitzer Prize!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
What a wonderful, well deserved honor for one of this country's finest writers ever!

CONGRATULATIONS, RAY!

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's well deserved and long overdue! Congrats Ray and thank you for more blissful hours spent within your stories than anybody else's, running through the ravine and amongst the blue hills of Mars and spinning on a backwards merry-go-round and walking towards the book people and away from Earths gravity to where the stars shine brightest and the thunder lizard roars almost as loud as the fluttering wings of the butterfly and a lonely lighthouse doesn't return a night time call collect and an illustrated man watches vultures arc across a blazing veldt sky with a faint growling of lions all tatooed and moving on his skin in the flickering firelight and tiny spacemen are strewn like jacks in a kaleidoscope as their voices drift and fade out into the void going seperate ways to infinity and the oh so many others who stand within us all thanks to a young boy's dream to live forever. You and all of them shall Ray!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FH 451:
GIVE A BIG THANKS OUT TO ANNE HARDIN!

Thanks Anne!

Anne Hardin has been a friend of Ray Bradbury's for over 20 years. During 1991, in her position as editor of the International Trumpet Guild Journal, her interest in reprinting Ray's poem about Louis Armstrong called "Satchmo Saved" was the beginning of a close friendship. Ray later wrote a poem for her after reading about the orbicularis oris -- the lip muscle that a trumpeter uses to play -- "Satchmo's Syndrome: An Ode d'Orifice." When Hardin retired as editor in 1996, Ray wrote the poem "Just Gimme That Brass," which was set to music by none other than the composer of the classic film score "Laura," David Raksin. The jazzy rendition for brass choir and 8-voice choir was premiered at the University of California Long Beach with Bradbury and Raksin in the audience.

Anne is associated with two publishing houses: Camden House published for Ray an edition of Thomas Love Peacock's Headlong Hall, with Ray's new introduction. Her acquaintance with Bradbury's friend Forrest Ackerman and his publisher, Sense of Wonder Press, has produced Rainbow Fantasia, 35 "Tales of Wonder" dedicated to Ray, and just available in time for DragonCon, a book called Martianthology, a collection of pulp tales about what else? Mars.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks by the way for the heads up Biplane!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is fantastic news!! I am so happy for Uncle Ray; this award is long overdue. And to think, tomorrow I start "Dark They Were, and Golden Eyed," in two of my literature classes. Can't wait to tell them about this award! Live forever, Ray!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What an honor, though no prize could repay our debt to such a man, who has given so much and done what so many fear to do: tell the stories.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
A Pulitzer! It just doesn't get any better than that.
Pulitzers are for U.S. publications only. How about going worldwide: the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobel Prize is the matter of time Smiler

Posts: 173 | Location: Russia | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"MANY CONGRATS" to Mr. B!
Pulitzer awards in NYC today at Columbia University. Who traveled and received on his behalf? Daughter Alexandra?!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one of Ray's plays recently, there was a 8 1/2x11 paper certificate placed on the wall of the entrance signifying Ray's Pulitzer award. Is that it? Is that the tangible evidence they give someone that wins? Not even a small plaque?

Or...?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Money. There's always the money, Nard.

How is there any money left in that fund? Wouldn't it have dried up long ago? Are others now contributing, or was the original amount of the trust fund so huge that the interest keeps the thing going?

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
At one of Ray's plays recently, there was a 8 1/2x11 paper certificate placed on the wall of the entrance signifying Ray's Pulitzer award. Is that it? Is that the tangible evidence they give someone that wins? Not even a small plaque?

Or...?

Nard: It is confession time. That certificate in the lobby of the theatre was made by me. I took the words from the Pulitzer website and printed it up on fancy certificate stock.

Ray will be given the real Pulitzer, in a public setting, at his birthday bash/book signing at Mystery and Imagination.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What great news! I am playing catch-up, so forgive my delayed response!

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the Pulitzer Prize website, here is a link to an article discussing the Pulitzer Prize Special Citation that was awarded to Ray Bradbury in 2007. Ray was unable to attend the ceremony, and William Congdon accepted on his behalf:

https://www.pulitzer.org/winners/ray-bradbury

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard: At the time of Mr. Bradbury receiving his Special Citation of the Pulitzer Award (April 16th, 2007), my secondary students and our famliy had already been communicating with him for over ten years. Mr. Bradbury was ALWAYS so personable and generous in all he shared, signed, and spoke about with us.

Since the Pulitzer Awards were being presented in NYC, and due to our location in the North Country of NY State, our family planned to travel to be on hand for the event - hoping to make the proper contacts to possibly attend the ceremonies. When we informed Mr. Bradbury of this venture, he soon returned a message indicatng he would be unable to make the cross-country trip due to the demands the venture would require of him. So, our the trip did not take place.

Instead, in the days that followed, we sent Mr. B special congratulations which included a paper scroll (10' long) that my students created. It included comments, artwork, and signatures from each student as well as our two young sons, who were already true RB fans! We left the scroll rolled out and available in the school's high school library for further signings by students in grades 7-12 and all staff members. I recall we had well over 300 names with notes of congrats and thanks when it was time for mailing.

Before we sent it to Mr. Bradbury, we carefully rolled it up, securing it with decorative string to give it a truly unique and specially prepared (surprise) appearance!

A couple of weeks after the Pulitzer Award must have been placed into Mr. Bradbury's hands by Mr. Congdon, true to his consistent manner of going "above and beyond" for us whenever a message or item was sent his way, I discovered a large envelope in my school mailbox...

So, tonight as I write this forum response, a framed, fine photocopy of Mr. Bradbury's Pulitzer Prize is clearly visible hanging along side my joyfilled RB Library!

Once again and ALWAYS ~ "Thank You, Mr. Bradbury!"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post