Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Collecting Ray Bradbury

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collecting Ray Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
Hi there. I figured this might be a good topic to have around. I've been collecting Ray Bradbury books and ephemera for six years now, and am always looking for others with a simliar interest to talk to, trade with, compare notes with, etc. Due to Ray's massive and exciting output, collecting Bradbury stuff can be a great challenge as well as great fun...For me, it's a natural extension of enjoying his work so much. Anyone else out there enjoy this hobby?

Hope to hear from you,
Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A collector book, "The Ray Bradbury Companion," by William F. Nolan, appeared in 1975. It would cost you a fortune now if you could get it. There has been talk of an update by longtime collector Donn Albright, but I haven't heard anything definite regarding it. There is an interest out there. Donn showed a letter of mine to a friend of his and he sent me three extremely rare books he'd had just sitting around for about forty years!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Donn A. sent me a box of odd foreign paperbacks a few weeks ago, out of the blue. I had no idea who it was from when it arrived, since I only tried to get in touch with him two years ago and took that long to hear back! Thought it might be a big box of anthrax, but I opened it anyway and was pleasantly surprised rather than killed. I feel terrible I haven't found time to thank him yet; I'll have to send him a letter over vacation. He's a great guy though--to be sure.

Bill

Posts: 16 | Registered: 20 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard about Donn Albright's famous Bradbury collection...It must be absolutely extraordinary. Does anyone know how to contact him? PSU's Pattee library has a copy of William Nolan's Bradbury book, so I've borrowed that several times...It's quite a help. So far I have a fairly extensive collection of 1st editions, but the great thing about Ray Bradbury is that he's so darn prolific, there's always more to find!

posted Hide Post
you should be able to visit your local county library or university library, and put in a request for any of Bradbury's books through interlibrary loan. If you can find them in other libraries collections they may lend them for 2 to 4 weeks. I have been suprised what is out there if you look.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a copy of "Dark Carnival" the recently published "60 Greatest Old Time Science Fiction Radio Shows Selected By Ray Bradbury" with a written and audio forward by Mr. Bradbury, and several of his stories that were adapted and written for radio in the 50's (Dimension X, X Minus One etc.). He introduced one of the shows in the 50's himself and it is included on the collection. I highly recommend it. Found some short stories he adapted into one act plays in Biloxi, Mississippi on vacation in October. I work at a bookstore in Illinois where I read Mr. bradbury's children's book "Switch On The Night" to the kids at storytime with a friend of mine who turned me on to Bradbury.

Posts: 21 | Location: Edwardsville, Illinois | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By the way, if anyone knows of any hardback first editions of 'Fahrenheit 451' that are available for a reasonable price, I'd love to hear from you. I have a first edition hardback in great shape, but no dust jacket. I'm trying to find one, even if it's an ex-library copy. I'm looking for the true 1st HB published by Ballantine in 1953, with dust jacket...or at least a 1st HB dust jacket. Thanks again for any help...It'd really help me complete my collection!

Best,
Greg M.

posted Hide Post
Try asking Gauntlet Press about contacting Donn Albright. With what stamps cost these days, I'd phone, FAX, or e-mail first:

Telephone : (610) 328-5476
after 10:00 AM
Fax : (610) 328-9949
info@gauntletpress.com

If they say they can forward a letter, their snail mail address is:
Gauntlet, Inc.
309 Powell Rd.
Springfield, PA 19064
United States of America

Be sure to include an SASE (envelope with your name and address as the addressee and stamp on it) for Donn's answer.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post