Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    What would you have done?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you have done?
 Login/Join

posted
What would you have done if you were in the position of Guy Montag? Do you think that you would have the courage to change the policies of the society or would you choose an alternative? I personally would find the courage to do something about the censorship. I don't think it is right to just burn books like that. I would find it in me to find some kind of way to prevent what these people are doing.

[This message has been edited by stephbrian (edited 09-01-2004).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were to be Guy Montag I am not exactly sure what I would've done. I mean you always have doubts in the back of your mind asking yourself all these questions such as "is what I am doing right" or "What if this is the wrong decission." But if you truly think about, we lead the life of Guy Montag every day just in different forms. We are filled with choices and opportunities and we come across 2 way paths every day of our lives. We always have right or wrong decissions to decide upon but the truth is that there is never a right decission. You will never make everyone happy or something could go wrong one way as well as the other. It's just how life works.

Michelle Ferm

Posts: 2 | Location: Lemont, Illinios | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW, great opinion! That really makes a lot of sense. Situations like that do happen pretty much everyday, even if they are little things, you still have to make a choice as to if it is the right choice or not. Very well said, Michelle!

Posts: 7 | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Michelle. It is true that choices like this are made everyday. However, I don't believe that you would have done the same things as Montag in this book. This really has nothing to do with the book, (and I�m not trying to diss you or anything) but sitting at home or school or wherever you are, you do not realize the amount of courage something like this takes. Also, since this is a world were the "people" (as in a majority) don�t want books anyway, it wouldn't seem so wrong to you in the first place. One real life example I can give on this is back when slavery was legal. All the white people (a majority as in the book) accepted it. It was seen as a common thing and nobody ever did anything about. However, today, many years after the civil war and the freedom of slaves, we all look back and see slavery as an appalling and disgusting action. Don't you understand, you are looking at this from a different world as different as the one where slavery was accepted. This is why your question is more difficult then it seems. Of course any person would say that they would do the same thing as Montag, but you will never get a true answer to this question. It doesn�t matter what a person says, they never walked in Montag's shoes, and they never lived in this world were having no books was accepted. Also, remember,things are always easier said than done.

[This message has been edited by Lynchs13 (edited 09-02-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Lynchs13 (edited 09-02-2004).]

Posts: 3 | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, if i was Guy Montag I would do a lot of things different! (and this is coming from a girls point of view) First of I would try to get Mildred to lighten up around me casue gosh, its like im a ghost to her. Second i would just quit my job as a fireman/woman because it is no fun burning down old ladies homes while the old lady is still in the house! and aslo because me having books in my house and not getting trouble, but other people who have books in there house im burning down there homes, it just isnt right and i have a higher chance of getting caught because the hound i dont like, and the hound doesnt like me. Those are some of the things i would change if i was Guy Montag

Posts: 3 | Location: Lemont, Il, United Stats of America | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think it is right to just burn books like that. I would find it in me to find some kind of way to prevent what these people are doing.why would they want to burn them,and michelle does have point we do every day have choices we have to make even if they are not the same as others.. I know that i would try very hard to try and find a way to change the society. what is the big deal of reading books its not like it's a bad thing at all. No matter wat everyone is going have there own opinion . you have nevered lived in this world were having no books was accepted. Also, remember,things are always easier said than done. So you can't say that you understand wat montag and is feeling. you have never had a book banned from you or have firemen come in and burn all the books you have in your life.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post