Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray Appearance on November 2nd!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Appearance on November 2nd!
 Login/Join

posted
(I trid to post this yesterday, but it never showed up! My apologies if it shows up later and I end up repeating myself...)

I thought everyone would like to know that Ray is making an appearance/signing at Children's Book World on Saturday, November 2nd, from Noon-2pm. The store is located in the Los Angele Area. He'll be signing copies of "Bradbury - An Illustrated Life: A Journey to Far Metaphor" (which is absolutely beautiful, by the way).

As an additional bonus for all those who cannot attend (me inclued--I live in Pittsburgh, darn it!) the store is taking orders for anyone who wants a signed and/or inscribed copy. Simply follow the link below and give them a call!
http://www.childrensbookworld.com/Calendar/calendar.htm

Anyway, I hope this makes someone's day. I wish I could be there!

All best,

Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PS - Get well soon, Mr. Dark! I'll be thinking of you.

-Greg

posted Hide Post
Thanks Greg!

I just ordered my copy (you can never be too early), and I was very pleased with the service I received. I have been buying books over the Internet and over the phone for a number of years, and I found the service to be quite commendable.

Thanks again for the tip.....

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problem! Yes, the people that run the store seem like really fine folks. They told me their store is only about a mile from Ray's house, so what they're going to do is ask Ray to take the books for the mail-order customers back to his house. He'll sign them there, then send them back to the store. That way he won't wear himself out at the signing, but will still make the mail order customers happy, too.

Again, what a wonderful person!

I can't wait to get my copy.

-Greg

posted Hide Post
Greg:

Thanks for the encouragement. When I got home from the hospital (a nightmare stay, including a nurse kicking out my IV at two in the morning, ripping it out of my arm and spattering blood all over the room), my copy of "Ray Bradbury, An Illustrated Life" was waiting for me. I had pre-ordered it through Amazon.com. (Once again, buying without a signature!). The book is really fun. I'm reading through it now. It is full of photographs and recollections and little anecdotes that are new to me. A lot of the photographs of Ray when he was younger are completely new to me, and are very fun to see. It is also fun to see the collections of the varying covers of the editions of the books he's published. It's fun to go back in my own mind/collection and see which ones I had and which were the earliest versions I had purchased.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, as many others I'm sure, have come to depend on this board (not the web site) to keep up on Ray's appearances. So THANK YOU Greg.

(And I can't say enough bad things about the people who run this web site--you know, the ones who SHOULD be on the ball as far as announcements go--so I guess I'll just narrow it down to this: they suck.)

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip from a fellow east coast fan.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My signed copy of An Illustrated Life that I ordered from Children's Book World (thanks to Greg Miller's tip) just arrived today! What a fantastic book! I can't wait to disappear into it's pages for a while. The book store did a very nice job of packaging the book, and considering the signing was just last Saturday, did a commendable job of getting me this treasure in a timely manner.

On another (slightly related) topic, there was a copy of my receipt in the book with a stapled notice stating something to the effect of: "Due to Ray Bradbury's health problems, he was unable to sign personalized inscriptions." Does anybody know if Ray is having additional health problems, or if this is in reference to his usual assortment of ailments?

Thanks!
Chris

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear they did such a good job of getting the books out! I haven't received mine yet, but perhaps it will arrive today! I'm sorry to hear about Ray's health, though...I hope it isn't something new. Please keep us informed if you hear anything more.

Best, Greg

posted Hide Post
Any suggestions for seeing RB or getting books signed?

Posts: 1 | Location: Agoura Hills, Ca. 91301 | Registered: 05 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems that no one posts Ray's upcoming book signings on the Internet, for some reasons unknown.....

So you will have to hear about it from locals, or some advertisements in the Sunday Supplements...and I've been looking over the internet for future notices of Ray's whereabouts for months, and... "nothing".....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard-

With "Let's All Kill Constance!" being released next month, I suspect there will be a greater number of Ray Appearances, at least around the Los Angeles area. I'm not exactly sure who to go to in order to find out when or where they will be, but surfing the net in the near future MAY, I suspect, turn up some new events...Or so I hope!

BTW-

Speaking of "Let's All Kill Constance!", it already seems to be gaining great reviews, and Amazon.com has a scan of the cover art, which is by the same artist who did the cover art for "One More for the Road." I'm REALLY looking forward to it, to say the least.

All best,
Greg M.