Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Contacting the man!
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contacting the man!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Didn't Ray say something to the extent of "if we wait until we've fixed our problems on earth before we go to mars, we'll never go?"

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A colony of bats lives in my house. I've known of its existence for 24 years but despite hearing them a lot, especially late at night in the summer, only seen them a few times. I did see one go into the space between the house and the chimney once, and sort of assumed that was their "summer home" and the attic was their "winter home."

This past weekend, when my nephew was visiting, he decided to investigate the bats. We climbed a ladder next to the chimney and discovered that the space of 2" or so between house and chimney is apparently not their home but only their entryway. The actual "bat cave" is entered by means of a couple of pieces of siding missing (not visible until you look directly behind the chimney) from which the bats have free run of a section or two of wall, between the studs, all the way up the wall and presumably even into the attic.

Despite a lot of poking around in this space, which produced a flurry of flutters, scratches, and squeaks, but no furry flying rodents, my nephew saw no bats during his stay. Tuesday I stood at a short distance, at the right angle to look through the space, at dusk, and was rewarded by the sight of at least four of the legendary beasties creeping up the wall behind the chimney. I kinda think they give the joint atmosphere.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, why did From The Dust Returns and Uncle Einar flash through my mind when I read about your bats?

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think John Lennon has about as much chance of losing his way down the road of history as does Jesus.

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't go poking around chimneys without thinking of "The Chimney Sweeps" in "From the Dust Returned." Timothy wasn't the only one with "inhabited" chimneys.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Lennon has been on postage stamps, including one of his home country where he appears alongside Shakespeare. Does anyone know whether Ray has been on a stamp?

Posts: 110 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From
Greentown
Illinois

...as much as a chance as...

Hmm. If Christ said no way to Heaven but by Me (considering that Christ called Himself the author of Life)... I would think John Lennon has little chance without HIM!
(Speaking down the road, that is... that veeery long road that begins with the letter 'e' I'm talking about...)

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They may have changed the rules, but I believe one must have past on to be considered for a US postage stamp. My father, who worked for the Post OFfice in Beverly Hills for 28 years and knew them all, once tried to get a stamp out for Walt Disney showing the four Lands in Disneyland, one stamp design for each land. He was told no can do, until Walt is deceased. I think they finally did put out a Walt Disney stamp. but by then my father was also deceased. Too bad.

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask:

But other countries put American icons on stamps before they have passed. I'd have to pull out the old stamp book to tell you which countries do that, but I think they issue those stamps for monetary value from collectors.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lennon? I thought they spelled it Lenin... It could be possible that I was thinking of the communist leader of Russia rather than the communist vocalist of America/England.

Oh well, many great musicians have found their way to communism. Rage Against The Machine, would be my favorite of these communist inspiring bands.

As for war, I completely agree w/ Mr. Orwell here... "War is evil, but it is often the lesser evil."

lol, btw, doesn't "The man" usually refer to the government?

[This message has been edited by John Galt (edited 07-23-2004).]

[This message has been edited by John Galt (edited 07-23-2004).]

<A HREF="http://bradthegreat.blogspot.com/<br /><br /><br />Yo," TARGET=_blank>http://bradthegreat.blogspot.com/<br /><br /><br />Yo,</A> check out my site... It's Bitchin

Posts: 99 | Location: LaPorte, Indiana, United States of America | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao,
You ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow."

John Lennon, "Revolution."

Not to mention that a person possessing such considerable material assets can scarcely attain to being a "communist" even had Lennon claimed that title.

posted Hide Post
...lesser evil than what?...

Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"...lesser evil than what?..."

Lesser evil than... peace time genocide i.e. Hitler before WWII, murderous dictators and communist leaders i.e. communist Russia and present day Cuba, countries hosting and supporting terrorist groups i.e. Iraq....

Need more?

<A HREF="http://bradthegreat.blogspot.com/<br /><br /><br />Yo," TARGET=_blank>http://bradthegreat.blogspot.com/<br /><br /><br />Yo,</A> check out my site... It's Bitchin

Posts: 99 | Location: LaPorte, Indiana, United States of America | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are difficult concepts for some liberals to grasp. Anything is better than war -- even mass slaughter.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes, apparently