Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Contacting the man!
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contacting the man!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Happiness is a Warm Gun, then?

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why can't people just learn to get along?

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. Happiness is peace on earth. But it should be clear to all that peace on earth is unattainable w/o creating it. We have given the world a chance to just get along, but clearly that is not working because the hate of oneself is not easily admitted. Mr. Sowell in this quote explains why they hate us. "Why do they hate us? Maybe it is because the alternative to hating us is to hate themselves." Sowell hit that metaphorical nail on the head with that comment. The age when men can honestly look at themselves and openly admit their faults would be a utopia. Placing blame where it belongs is the first step in a process that will be long and will be violent. You can't just say, "Let's get this snowball rolling." You must do it. Peace through violence is not a contradiction because after the smoke is clear better days will be seen.

Note: The quote I used by Mr. Sowell was taken from an article called "Why do they hate us?" which can be found here http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell031704.asp
Sowell's archives of articles can be found here http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell.archives.asp

I highly suggest reading some, if not, all of them... They are very well written and thought out.

<A HREF="http://bradthegreat.blogspot.com/<br /><br /><br />Yo," TARGET=_blank>http://bradthegreat.blogspot.com/<br /><br /><br />Yo,</A> check out my site... It's Bitchin

Posts: 99 | Location: LaPorte, Indiana, United States of America | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Korby:
Why can't people just learn to get along?

Ask yourself. Do you get along with everyone you know? Why not? The answer to your question lies within the answer to my question. Speak honestly to yourself.

Don't post the answer here. I already know it.

[This message has been edited by John Galt (edited 07-25-2004).]

<A HREF="http://bradthegreat.blogspot.com/<br /><br /><br />Yo," TARGET=_blank>http://bradthegreat.blogspot.com/<br /><br /><br />Yo,</A> check out my site... It's Bitchin

Posts: 99 | Location: LaPorte, Indiana, United States of America | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can get along with everyone, even those I don't care for. It's called being civil, even to those people I can't stand (ask my in-laws, I've been civil to them for the last 21 years!). You don't have to like someone to get along with them. Think of work - no one likes EVERYONE they work with, but you're expected to get along with them. Same thing applies to the rest of one's life.

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
[B]From
Greentown
Illinois

...as much as a chance as...

Hmm. If Christ said no way to Heaven but by Me (considering that Christ called Himself the author of Life)... I would think John Lennon has little chance without HIM!
(Speaking down the road, that is... that veeery long road that begins with the letter 'e' I'm talking about...)

Many religions have come and gone and are now considered mythology no matter where their roots lie. If this planet is still around in 6,000 years and if there are still human beings hanging out here, there will be a whole new set of religions. Christ will exist as a mythological figure as will John Lennon (in a whole different venue) as will many other peace teachers who have come along, especially if their words have been preserved directly from their mouths electronically since the "mass media revolution" Consider how many religions have come and gone in the past. Don't get me wrong, I cherish the words of Christ as I do the words of John Lennon (and Ghandi, Martin Luther King Jr., Maya Angelou, etc.)and do try very hard to live by them. And even if these people's names and memories are forgotten, their influence will live as long as there is a human race (the butterfly effect to tie this all back in to Mr. Bradbury). In that sense, we will all be "remembered" in the events that we have influenced just as we are influenced by those who lived thousands of years ago on the other side of the planet. John Lennon would definitely have had little chance without Jesus Christ - Christ came first. None of us would have much chance without Jesus Christ and John Lennon who came before us.

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For your consideration, a quote from another of my favourite writers, C.S. Lewis:
'I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: 'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' That is one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of thing Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic�on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg�or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us.
He did not intend to.'

Cheerio.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From Greentown Illinois,

Unfortunately for your argument, it would require the cooperation of your audience. Saying that to an atheist or even logical crowd you will draw laughs because not everyone in this country lives life by a philosophy that teaches to fear the leader of that philosophy. Personally, I chose my philosophy by reason and the teachings of a lady named Ayn Rand who did not create her philosophy with inherint contradictions.

[This message has been edited by John Galt (edited 07-26-2004).]

posted Hide Post
C.S. Lewis himself was an Atheist and argued with the best of philosophers before and after his conversion. Ayn Rand's ok as far as she goes, but I think you've got some study to do yet. Best of luck.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have a reason for thinking that the best policy in life is reason and policy i.e. Does it make sense to you to base your faith on a philosophy that contradicts itself and is their a real reason why a logical man would put his faith into that which is hidden from him such as supernatural beings or forces?

posted Hide Post
I am the Poached Eggman,
They are the Poached Eggmen . . .

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We all put our faith in what has been revealed. The difference with Christianity is that Christians claim that the Revealer is God Himself. Believe me, I've been down more philosophical paths than you've had time yet to discover (if you're 15 as earlier stated) and have made my discoveries and choices. I've posted all I wish on this subject, as this board (like so many) tends to have threads that stray from the original topic!
To quote from "Dandelion Wine" (which I've just enjoyed reading for the umpteenth time):
"When you're seventeen, you know everything. When you're twenty-seven, if you still know everything, you're still seventeen."
Again, best of luck in your search.

[This message has been edited by Braling II (edited 07-26-2004).]

posted Hide Post
From Greentown Illinois,

"Goo-goo- goo-joob!"

posted Hide Post
As I have stated in various posts before, I am a Christian...and that Ray Bradbury was instrumental in leading me into a direct understanding of Jesus Christ. (Now isn't interesting that Ray does not understand Christ as God, or Saviour.)

John Galt:
Of course, you can understand things invisible. At least begin to understand. It's not an overnight process. At least not for me it wasn't...and isn't.

The whole message of the gospel is rather simple:
Christ is in you, and this is the hope of Glory.

Several Epistles in scripture write about it, but here's one:

The Epistle to the Colossians,Chapter one puts it this way:

'''....that secret purpose hidden for long ages and through many generations, but now disclosed to God's people. To them ...he chose to make known what a wealth of glory is offered in this secret purpose: Christ in you, the hope of Glory.'''

If Christ faded away, then so does all that there is, for it is all that his character is...and all that the design of his mind is, that holds the flower together, and the galaxies, and the human condition.

Withdraw Christ, and the universe withers...for it is what he is ...

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
We all put our faith in what has been revealed. The difference with Christianity is that Christians claim that the Revealer is God Himself. Believe me, I've been down more philosophical paths than you've had time yet to discover (if you're 15 as earlier stated) and have made my discoveries and choices. I've posted all I wish on this subject, as this board (like so many) tends to have threads that stray from the original topic!
To quote from "Dandelion Wine" (which I've just enjoyed reading for the umpteenth time):
"When you're seventeen, you know everything. When you're twenty-seven, if you still know everything, you're still seventeen."
Again, best of luck in your search.

[This message has been edited by Braling II (edited 07-26-2004).]

touche braling... but in reply to that quote, I'm not sure if that is too relevant to the statements I have made because I will admit that I am still a student to objectivism and philosophy, in general, is a new subject to me. I do attend a church youth group once a week as I see it is important to keep my eyes open to other philosophies and ways of living. Although, I am not sure of the reason I do it. Whether it is to give it a chance or if it is because I like to "know my enemy". Either way, I am sure my choice will satisfy me. I think it is best to always be learning and use truth as your weapon.

Nard Kordell

In the short span of time in which I have existed thus far I have wasted 13 years. But for just over two years now I have been looking for what is inside of me and what I base my morals and my ethical standards on and if it is indeed christ I suppose you will have the last laugh, but whoever it is I am determined to follow the path I have chosen and if it leads my to nothing but a solid wall then I will back trace and find a new path, but for now I fully intend on this path being my final one and I hope what i find inside myself is none other than myself and I can trust in the decisons I make.

[This message has been edited by John Galt (edited 07-26-2004).]