Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Contacting the man!
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contacting the man!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Braling, have you, or anyone for that matter, looked much in to the writings of Epicurus or Lucretious(sp?)?

I was just wondering because that's the first step I took into philosophy... I was raised as a pagan so I have always been an atheist... and Epicurus' writing on death interested me in particular.

<A HREF="http://bradthegreat.blogspot.com/<br /><br /><br />Yo," TARGET=_blank>http://bradthegreat.blogspot.com/<br /><br /><br />Yo,</A> check out my site... It's Bitchin

Posts: 99 | Location: LaPorte, Indiana, United States of America | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Galt,
I read a lot of those guys and the later Germans maybe 3 decades ago? The only one that really sticks with me is Aristotle, mainly because St. John of Damascus elaborated on his model of Being.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Galt:

Last laugh? Only a laugh of gladness!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by John Galt:
From Greentown Illinois,

Unfortunately for your argument, it would require the cooperation of your audience. Saying that to an atheist or even logical crowd you will draw laughs because not everyone in this country lives life by a philosophy that teaches to fear the leader of that philosophy. Personally, I chose my philosophy by reason and the teachings of a lady named Ayn Rand who did not create her philosophy with inherint contradictions.

Cooperation of my audience?
That is called preaching to the choir - and what good is that. We all stand to learn a lot from people to whom we are not giving our cooperation. It's how we grow.

If I make someone laugh - then I have provided them with a positive feeling - even if it's at my expense. After all, it's not about what people think of me now is it?

I'll have to look into some Ayn Rand.

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From Greentown Illinois,
A friend and I used to jam on beatles tunes, and we would joke around and sing our own version of "I am the Walrus"

"Soy hombre de huevos,
Son hombres de huevos,
Yo soy el walruso..."

Yeah, we didn't know the spanish word for Walrus, and this guy was from Chile, so if he didn't know, who would?

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Groon,
Outstanding!
Check out a film by Eric Idle called - The Rutles.
Greentown

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post