Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    This is very sad

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is very sad
 Login/Join

posted
Found this while surfing around Bradbury related links:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0195517/

Read the paragraph under "User Comments"

Posts: 4 | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is kind of sad. I just finished watching "About a Boy" which is partly about a troubled kid trying to find his way. Part of the movie is about how kids hurt each other.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That level of callousness really bothers me, even considering they're kids. Makes me wonder how many other kids carry around lousy memories like this, too. Hope someone gave her a kind word.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, that IS horrible!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Let's play Poison!"

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, can't you just picture this as something Bradbury would well write himself? Couldn't help considering that it's that ONE student he's trying to reach, out of an entire CLASS! No wonder he celebrates each such success, no matter how many they may accumulate up to!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is so pathetic. Kids can be some vicious little monsters.

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's very ironic, as well as sad, because these kids clearly did not get the entire point of that story. They were just as nasty as the kids in the story were to Margot. I always try my hardest to stop this kind of cruelty from going on in my own classroom, but I know too well that much of the damage usually done is done when there are no teachers or other adults anywhere to be found. What's even worse than the actual event is the student who wrote on that board, bragging about it.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, if he'd written in regret--"I laughed automatically, before thinking about it, but was sorry afterwards"--the story would assume a whole different meaning.

posted Hide Post
As someone who spent part of his adolescence in at least one school where nobody wanted me, I can vouch that that kind of rotten experience definitely stays with one. It taught me to be on guard all the time and, somewhat to my detriment, not to trust anyone. In those days I sometimes read up to four books a week. Ah, the joys of adolescence!

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years back when this thread originally appeared, due to concerns about copyrights and author permissions, I chose not to include the contents of the user comment being discussed.

Internet Movie Database, despite all protestations and warnings having not relented on an ill-conceived and suicidal intent to remove its message boards, by far the superior and unique feature of the site and its main attraction for many, the rest of the site is sure to soon fall into ruin. Before it disappears completely I am taking the precaution of copying as many as possible user comments on Bradbury works and posting them to at least one of the alternative sites, so here is a screenshot of the comment in question.