Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Arthur C. Clarke
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arthur C. Clarke
 Login/Join

posted
I just read that Arthur C. Clarke passed away today. He will be greatly missed. His writings were some of the earliest that got me tuned into literature, religion, philosophy, science, etc. His writings were some of the first I read after my introduction to the world of ideas in my reading of Bradbury. He was 90 years old.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace, one of our greatest.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was introduced to scifi/fantasy by Ray Bradbury, when I got through Bradbury's work, I was hooked, and went right to Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov. They were both great. I remember being blown away by Clarke's Childhood's End. Also loved the 2001 movie and book. I was able to go to see 2001 A Space Odyssey in Hollywood on a massive, curved screen. Very cool. I have never grown out of my love of Scifi and fantasy. These guys changed my life decades ago, and still influence me.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
I remember being blown away by Clarke's Childhood's End.

In my opinion, Childhood's End was his greatest work.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's probably time for another reading of it.

posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the New York Times obituary for this fine writer:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/18/books/18cnd-clarke.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Incidentally, Mr. Clarke and Ray Bradbury were long-time friends, and Mr. Clarke wrote a very nice (and ultimately very funny) forward to the recent PS Publishing re-issue of Ray's S IS FOR SPACE. They also appeared together on a panel discussion (with Carl Sagan, among others) about space travel and exploration that was transcribed and published in 1973 by Harper & Row as MARS AND THE MIND OF MAN.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2443 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A macintosh man, I see.

So is Forry.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone remember that Arthur c. Clarke was the originator of the synchonous orbit satellite; that concept is used for all the transmissions from Earth to space and back to Earth. He also wrote a story about growing a filament from the Earth to orbit and then using that to enable a Space Elevator to traverse the filament avoiding the expense of rockets and fuel. What a truly inventive mind. And he lived in Columbo, Sri Lanka - a paradise.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"2001: A Space Odyssey" is one of the best films ever made.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
And he lived in Colombo, Sri Lanka - a paradise.

But what is more amazing is that he moved there from England - even more of a paradise!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The great Mr. Clarke was one of the few to respond to a letter I sent to many people some years ago. His answer was detailed and gracious.

R. I. P., Arthur C.!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
Does anyone remember that Arthur c. Clarke was the originator of the synchonous orbit satellite; that concept is used for all the transmissions from Earth to space and back to Earth.

patrask~ Actually, the technical term for a synchonous orbit is called a Clarke orbit.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
A macintosh man, I see.

So is Forry.

I believe Sir Arthur used nearly every computer under the sun. His home in Sri Lanka was packed with computers and satellite dishes so he could maintain in communication with the rest of civilisation. He was one of the first authors to deliver his manuscripts electronically, and was using the internet before most of us knew it existed!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
But what is more amazing is that he moved there from England - even more of a paradise!

The cold and the damp in this "paradise" is what drives us Brits elsewhere!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
patrask~ Actually, the technical term for a synchonous orbit is called a Clarke orbit.

Synchonous is a good word.

But synchRonous is better!

- Phil