Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Can anyone help me please?!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone help me please?!
 Login/Join

posted
Hey, I'm in an emergency. If anyone can send me a quick summary of The Sound Of Thunder by Ray....it'd be great. I have a English Essay due tomorrow morning and I need some more info on it. My email address is LilDevil00117@aol.com. I need to get it done so I can pass the first term. Any info would be great! Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Location: St.Marys, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WyLd (etc)...

Hey, we could never do as good as job as you in doing that report.... but maybe these things will help:

The story in full:

click on www.sba.muohio.edu/snavely/415/thunder.htm

and for more info for your report

click on: www.steelbreeze.fsnet.co.uk/rant-bradbury.html

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 10-28-2002).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, thank you very much! You are a life saver!I've looked everywhere and those 2 sites did the job. Thanks again!

Posts: 2 | Location: St.Marys, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard. Nice job. Very helpful.

When I think of this story, it always raises these metaphysical questions of how much of a role "fate" plays in our lives and how much of a role "random" events have in our lives. The movie, "Sliding Doors" (Gwynneth Paltrow) posits two plots in one movie. In one, she misses the bus home and doesn't catch her boyfriend cheating on her; in the other, she catches the bus, and gets home in time to catch him. The difference is minor (missing the bus), but the impact is significant.

This comes up in the novel "Jurassic Park" (Michael Crighton) where the question of chaos theory comes up in reference to cloning dinosaurs and in assuming this is something that can be controlled. The book discusses this to a much greater extent than the movie does (although the Jeff Goldbloom character does bring it up). Small, random changes impact the future, yet those changes are not always either (1) controllable, or (2) Observable.

In a great (non-technical) book on Chaos Theory, the authors discuss the concept of "The Butterfly principle". This principle is alluded to in an old Chinese proverb: "The power of a butterfly's wings can be felt on the other side of the world". What the authors of this book are saying is that small actions have a long-term and unpredictable impact on the future. That is what Bradbury's story is about. The guy steps off the track, crushes a butterfly and brings it back to the future embedded in the mud in his shoes, and that tiny action has created all these changes to society.

The small nature of the change has had a long-term impact on the future.

(The book that deals with this is called, "Seven Life Lessons of Chaos: Timeless Wisdom From the Science of Change". By John Briggs and F. David Peat. HarperCollins, 1999.)

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of "Sound of Thunder". Has Anyone heard of the progress, or of the fizzle of the the movie? I am curious, but out of the link. The last I heard they were filming in the Yucatan peninsula. Can anyone out there bring me up to speed?

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 10-29-2002).]

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See this site for movie's status and comments: http://www.chud.com/news/may02/may13thunder.php3

Haven't read "Sound of Thunder?" For on-line version of this famous RB classic s.s. go to: http://www.sba.muohio.edu/snavely/415/thunder.htm

Enjoy!!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 10-30-2002).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's an Interview with
Ben Kingsley
September 1, 2002....

where...
Sound of Thunder is discussed.....

click on: www.sagfoundation.org/conversations/20020901/

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 10-29-2002).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post