Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    A confession to make...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A confession to make...
 Login/Join

posted
I really can't believe this, but I have just discovered that I haven't read Dandelion Wine. I thought I had, in fact Dandelion Wine was of the books that Ray signed for me way back in march of 1967 when I first got to meet and visit with him in his home. In fact he gave me three books, two of which (including DW) that I later, foolishly, lent out to someone and never got them back.

It was in 1988 that I purchased another copy and sent it to him for him to autograph. It is notewrothy that on the cover it states "One Million in Print."

Well anyway, I started rereading it (so I thought) only to discover, to my utmost horror, I had never read it before. So, I am really enjoying this first read.

Now I have to go back and make sure I have read his other books, hmmmmmm.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read it back in HS (approx 1971), and re-read it last year at 49. I completely under-appreciated it back then and really enjoyed it when I read it last year. I guess, as a kid, I was unable to appreciate the nostalgia and I was looking for sci-fi/fantasy, and DW is not that. Great book. Hope you enjoy it thoroughly.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I envy anyone the first reading of Dandelion Wine.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also David Copperfield!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have yet to read DW myself....guess I'd better hop on it.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
groon, loved the film. Say call me, I have a question for you. My cell is (954) 579-0003.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane!
As Claude Raines said in "Casablanca", I'm shocked! Shocked!
BUT, how lucky you are.
DRINK DEEP. SAVOR. ENJOY.
Let yourself be transported! Makes me want to read it again!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I’m shocked! Shocked to see there is a lack of rereading going on here.”

“Louie, I think this is the beginning of some great summer reading.”

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After hearing me rave about Ray Bradbury for nearly fifty years to the point of making my graduation present from college a trip to Waukegan, my best friend finally read Dandelion Wine recently and was blown away by it!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion, always great to hear about new Ray Bradbury readers! Even if it took your friend almost 50 years, better late than never! Smiler

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a young boy, my cousins and I would always be available when it was late grape season. We'd assist our grandfather in the tradition of making wine for our soon approaching cold Northern winter months. The cellar was dark and cool, with a couple of light bulbs illuminating the well-cleaned and open area where all procedures would take place.

Separating grapes from their stems, rinsing carefully, and placing the reds in one press and the yellow/greens in another. The process would take quite a bit of time, but we were always treated by some homemade bread, cuts of sharp cheese, and delicious slices of well-seasoned salami.

Yet, the best treat was the small glass of wine we would each get from the large wooden barrel which held the previous year's vintage. The glasses were always washed and set on a shelf for visitors who came to the nearby family gardens. Friends knew our grandfather would find time for a few stories and filling a glass with his special cellar brew. We, however, knew very well not to get Grandpa in trouble by telling our Grandmother about our fermented grape juice treat.

So, here's to you Grandpa Spaulding back in that Wonderful Summer of 1928:
https://www.sparknotes.com/lit...r/grandpa-spaulding/

https://www.hiddenlegendwinery...delion-wine-recipes/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post