Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    How Many Famous People?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Many Famous People?
 Login/Join

posted
I think it would be nice to compile a list of the famous people that Ray has met and known. At the town meeting last eveing I mentioned the fact that he had met Aldous Huxley and, if I remember correctly, George Bernard Shaw. Possibly Bertrand Russell. The list must be exhaustive.

Ray may not remember all the people he has met although his memory seems to pretty good.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And if he can remember anecdotes from those meetings…?

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure whether he met Shaw, but he defintely met Bertrand Russell.

Others I can think of off the top of my head: John Huston, Carol Reed, George Burns, Groucho Marx, Gene Kelly, Rod Steiger, George W. Bush. And of course Ray Harryhausen, Leigh Brackett, Robert Heinlein, Harlan Ellison, Robert Bloch, and virtually everyone else from the fields of science fiction and fantasy!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may add to that list film directors Jack Arnold, James Cameron, Federico Fellini, Alfred Hitchcock and Giuseppe Tornatore; actors Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy; Katherine Hepburn; Al Feldstein, Jack Clayton, Talia Shire, F. Murray Abraham, Charles Laughton; and personalities such as Forrest J. Ackerman, Roy Disney, Hugh Hefner, Richard Bach, Walter Bradbury (the Doubleday editor that published the Martian Chronicles)... and so many others.

Captain Wilder, Fourth Expedition

Posts: 21 | Registered: 28 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here’s an alphabetical list of who’s been mentioned as of edit date below:

Abraham, F. Murray
Ackerman, Forrest J.
Arnold, Jack
Bach, Richard
Berenson, Bernard
Bloch, Robert
Brackett, Leigh
Bradbury, Walter
Burns, George
Bush, George
Cameron, James
Clayton, Al
Corwin, Norman
Dano, Royal
Dietrich, Marlene
Disney, Roy
Disney, Walt
Ellison, Harlen
Feldstein, Al
Fellini, Frederico
Freberg, Stan
Goldsmith, Jerry
Hardy, Oliver
Harryhausen, Ray
Hefner, Hugh
Heinlein, Robert
Hepburn, Katherine
Herrmann, Bernard
Hitchcock, Alfred
Huston, John
Huxley, Aldus
Johnson, George Clayton
Jones, Chuck
Kelly, Gene
Laughton, Charles
Laurel, Stan
Lloyd, Norman
Magnaini, Joe
Marx, Groucho
Peckinpah, Sam
Pryce, Jonathan
Reed, Carol
Robards, Jason
Roddenberry, Gene
Russell, Bertrand
Serling, Rod
Shaw, George Bernard ?
Shire, Talia
Spielberg, Steven
Steiger, Rod
Tornatore, Giuseppe
Welles, Orson ?
Wilcox, Larry

Last edited: 05/24/06

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about Blackstone the magician?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention Sam Peckinpah and Steven Spielberg. And Norman Corwin and Stan Freberg. And probably Orson Welles (during the filming of Moby Dick, if not at any other time). And Norman Lloyd, actor (and producer/director of the Hitchcock TV shows).

Not to mention Chuck Jones, George Clayton Johnson, Rod Serling, Gene Roddenberry. And Joe Mugnaini, of course. And Bernard Berenson, the art critic.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Norman Lloyd, Hitchcock’s “Saboteur” (1942), top of the Statue of Liberty, “The sleeve! The Sleeve!”

posted Hide Post
W.C. Fields, "There you are. You little S.O.B.!"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter 31, would you be so kind as to add the additional names to your list? Thank you so much for doing that.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I can recall was Robert Redford, at a property
owners meeting the night, he told us all we were going to see " My Life As A Dog " that was after he said we were all going to see an "X-rated" movie, that cleared out some of the locals, but my Mom, and I stayed and watched the subtitled movie..
I recommend the film, It was fun.

Posts: 49 | Location: Ogden, Utah. | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uncle, if I recall "My Life As a Dog" is a Swedish movie about youngsters growing up. The only "x" part is when a twelve year old young lady showed her chest to a young man in a hay loft.

We had a young lady from Stockholm staying with us as an exchange student and she recommended it to us and we watched all together a family.

You were at a meeting with Robert Redford?

posted Hide Post
biplane 1,
Rather than add additional lists I’ll edit my original list above whenever possible along with an edit date.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

posted Hide Post
Chapter 31, that's what I was thinking. I would hate to type the whole list over again. I was thinking that if you has prepared it on Word or such you could save and paste, then just back and add as needed, paste and move or whatever the motion is.

posted Hide Post
Add…sort…copy…paste. Add..sort..copy..paste. Add, sort, copy, paste. Add, sort, copy, paste—but you’ve got to know the territory.