Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    How Many Famous People?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Many Famous People?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
...a recent letter dated December 10, 1953 from Ray to a friend in the U.S, written from Ireland while Ray was writing the screenplay, states "Gregory Peck is coming over next Sunday for a visit; he'll be Ahab, you know." ...

Excellent find, Richard, thanks!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
...a recent letter dated December 10, 1953 from Ray to a friend in the U.S, written from Ireland while Ray was writing the screenplay, states "Gregory Peck is coming over next Sunday for a visit; he'll be Ahab, you know." ...

Excellent find, Richard, thanks!

AWESOME!!!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ray did know Gregory Peck.

I recall Ray saying that late in their lives, Ray bumped in Peck and they discussed his portrayal of Ahab in MOBY DICK. Peck told Ray that he was probably too young for the part at the time and, as a result, failed to instill in the role the requisite malice it required. Peck then told Ray that if he played the part now: "Malice!"

With respect to whether Ray met with Peck before or during the filming of MOBY DICK, a recent listing on eBay was a letter dated December 10, 1953 from Ray to a friend in the U.S, written from Ireland while Ray was writing the screenplay, states "Gregory Peck is coming over next Sunday for a visit; he'll be Ahab, you know." The letter sold and therefore the following link will probably not work for very long after this posting, but for as long as it lasts, here is a link to that letter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ray-Br...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Thanks for clearing that up, Richard! It occurs to me I have at least two one-degree connections to To Kill a Mockingbird, as I knew Ray who met Peck, and I also know Dennis Holmes who appeared in Hound Dog Man with Mary Badham who played Scout! It really is a small world!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post