Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    How Many Famous People?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Many Famous People?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Richard, that is a neat story.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it really THREE YEARS since anyone last posted to this thread, or has something gone awry with the timekeeping on the board?

Anyway, someone else Ray met is Carl Sagan, astronomer and writer.

[I just read the 1973 book MARS AND THE MIND OF MAN, which is a transcript of a colloquium where Ray and Carl shared the stage with Arthur C.Clarke and Bruce Murray.]

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who's the Joe Magnaini guy on the list? Smiler

Posts: 61 | Location: United States | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent the better part of a day with Dizzy Gillespie! Even went shopping with him.
(Did I already tell you all about this?)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BII, that belongs on the Braling II message board ("How many famous people has Braling II met?")

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetJagger:
Who's the Joe Magnaini guy on the list? Smiler

He's a famous typo, friend of Rae Bradberry.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Rae Bradberry.

Last February, at the play TWICS, we enjoyed Baskin-Robbins Bradberry flavoured ice cream (tasted just like strawberry).

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Rae Bradberry.

Last February, at the play TWICS...

Mmmm, Twix.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Another person Ray has met is an author called Emil Petaja. Not heard of him myself, but there's info and a photo of them together here.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
It is so cool the number of people Ray has met or knows. Once, we were in the screening room at the Motion Picture Academy, viewing a partially restored print of 'Icarus Montgolfier Wright.' It is cool enough that along with Ray there is George Clayton Johnson in on the viewing.

Just before the screening a page comes in to say that Mr. Spielberg was in the building and upon learning that Ray was also in the building he’d like to come in and pay his respects.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Homage is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been reading through some old papers, and discovered some other famous folks who Bradbury has met:

Robert Ryan - actor
Peter Brook - director
John Hoyt - actor
Harry Belafonte - needs no explanation, surely?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

- Phil

posted Hide Post
No one has mentioned Buster Keaton yet. Ray told Sam Weller that Keaton was one of a number of regular customers when he sold newspapers on a street corner circa 1938-1941 or so, and that they talked. To my intense disappointment, when asked recently Ray didn't come up with any details. There are pictures of Ray on the street corner, and with famous people, and I would give loads for one of him and Buster or any words which passed between them.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
With regards to Ringo, Ray tells the story of taking his daughters to a David Bowie concert when his children were teenagers. After the concert, Ray was invited to go backstage and meet Bowie. When he and his daughters arrived at Bowie's dressing room backstage, Ringo Starr was there as well. According to Ray, Ringo cried out, "My God, it's Ray Bradbury!" and hurried across the room to meet Ray, stumbling over a chair in the process. Bowie hurried over to greet Ray as well. Ray says that at that point his daughters looked at each other and him as though thinking, "Hey, maybe our father is pretty cool after all."

Yes, Ray told me that story. I believe it was the last time we talked by phone, before it became too hard to make myself understood. He said it seemed Ringo may have hurt himself slightly but didn't care, he was so intent on reaching Ray as fast as possible. He also mentioned Ringo was the only Beatle he had met. I always liked Ringo, but his stock with me went up 300% right then.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This makes me think of sitting next to Ray during the banquet at the "Son of Famous Monsters Convention" in 1995. During the break after dinner, before the speakers started, I felt someone leaning over the back of my chair. Before I could turn around I heard an excited and nervous voice saying, "Hello, Mr. Bradbury. I am Danny Elfman and I have always wanted to meet you.

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post