Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Man, and a magical experience

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Man, and a magical experience
 Login/Join

posted
About 2 1/2 years ago, during the summer of 2003, I visited with Ray a couple of times. I was writing a piece on man's view of himself in the cosmos, and needed to track down a poem he had written back in the late 60's or early 70's about the Viking Lander on Mars. He was gracious enough to give me a copy of his collected poems which included that work. We chatted for a couple of hours, and he told me of Sam Weller's work on his Bio. I browsed the book looking for my favorite poem by Ray, a poem written in late '74 or early '75 to accompany a new radio drama production of "The Man" (put together by a young recording engineer at BYU who went on to an illustrious career at Disney).

Ray Narrated the intro and postlogue to the radio drama, and wrote a new poem for it, which he read himself at the end. I heard the whole thing on the radio at Easter, 1975, as a young college student, and fell in love with it. I tracked down a copy of the studio master which I saved.

Browsing the book at Ray's home (with lovely Marguerite joining in), I could find no trace of this poem, and asked Ray about it. He had no recollection of the peom, but he did remember the production he helped to put together.

Well, I had a copy of him on tape, reciting it some thiry years earlier, so I promised to get him a copy of the tape, and to transcribe the poem. I dropped it by a couple of months later in August 2003 on a later pass through LA. He and Marguerite were incredibly gracious.

We chatted for a long time, and I will never forget the magic that surrounded them. They both wept as they heard and read the poem. I guess he felt like it was lost child that had returned. He declared his intention to get the poem published, but given the events that followed a few months later with the death of his wife, I fear it got lost in the grief and chaos that always attends such events. I still have a copy of the poem transcript, and would like to see it published. Its best meaning is in the context of the original story, since it is a recasting of the plot with a very different (and more joyous) outcome.

My teenage daughter (also an avid Bradbury reader) was along, and they generously asked me to bring her in when they heard she was waiting in the car. Ray then went on, in a most gracious way, to do his best to make me out as a hero to my daughter. He succeeded.

Ray's work was a beacon to me in my youth, and helped propel me into a career in science and medicine. I practiced for years as a surgeon, working on the team that developed the first surgical robot. I now run a biotech company working in advanced materials, doing the kinds of things that Ray wrote about in his books. Ray’s works dispensed a double dose of passion and imagination that illuminated the path to this career.

I am accustomed to being disappointed when I meet someone who I have admired from a distance as a hero. One tends to encounter the "feet of clay" when one gets too close. My experience with Ray and Marguerite was exactly the opposite. There was more magic and grandeur in person, than I could have possibly anticipated.

Please email me if you want a copy of the poem.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Merlyn,

Posts: 2 | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Merlyn:
That wonderful sense one discovers in the writings of Ray Bradbury propels so many to such diverse and different worlds. Unless we find a way to lie to ourselves, Ray's gift lets one discover really great things along the way of life. And you fit that description of discovery.
___

'The Man' is one of my top 3 most favorite of Ray's works. Love to see a copy. Couldn't figure how to access your email address, so here is mine. Thanks much!
b.kordell@comcast.net

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes!!! Our hero.

Each day's visit to this site proves refeshing, with always an incredible anecdote like the one Merlyn has so kindly shared.

Earlier, I found this link from our great friend "Philnic" across the Big Pond:
http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379/audiobooks.htm#tape
Hours of tape and radio originals. Though I have most of RB's audio and video works in my collection, what an outstanding tool to bookmark for classroom use. (Re: Biplane, lmskipper, Mr. D and all the rest.)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Merlyn,

I enjoyed your posy very much and it reminded me of August of 1996 when I stopped by and he invited me in and when I mentioned that my wife and daughters were in the car he invited us all in. I took a photo of Ray and the girls and he later referred to the experience "as feeling like Billy Barty hugged between the tall girls."
My one daughter is 6' and the other is 5'11 1/2" so you can understand better his comment.

Marguerite was was there, but just heard her as the phone rang and she called into Ray that Stan Freberg wanted to speak with him.

Any time with Ray, in person or on the phone, is indeed treasured time.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Merlyn,

Thats an amazing story. Thank you for sharing. That goes ditto for me what Nard and biplane said. My e-mails at bottom, please relay a copy to me as well. Or if its easier, post it on here for all to see. Thanks again.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M: (Are you any kin to the magician?) Please take a moment to email me the piece, or perhaps post it for all as suggested above. Thank you in great huge amounts.
wordartist111@yahoo.com

Posts: 52 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merlyn:
...written in late '74 or early '75 to accompany a new radio drama production of "The Man" (put together by a young recording engineer at BYU who went on to an illustrious career at Disney)
.... I heard the whole thing on the radio at Easter, 1975....

Merlyn,

I document media adaptations of Ray Bradbury works (see my website www.bradburymedia.co.uk - click on AUDIO to see the list of radio dramatisations I know about). I'm not familiar with the production you referred to, although from the description I would guess you might be referring to Mike McDonough, who would produce the radio series Bradbury Thirteen in the 1980s. Could you tell me more about this production?

You can email me directly at phil@bradburymedia.co.uk

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have appreciated the various responses to my experience with Ray, including those that have included personal experiences. They further served to confirm the extraordinary nature of his character.

I am reluctant to post the poem online without Ray's permission for a couple of reasons -
1) It hasn't officially been published
2) It is my transcript of his reading on the radio drama, and in all fairness, he hasn't had a chance to edit it (though I gave him a copy back in 2003.

But I would be happy to email to anyone who wants a copy on condition that they do not post or disseminate it further.

I sent an email to Sam Weller, who, I hope, can work with Ray to either get it published, or released for posting.

If any of you have easy contact with Ray, I would love it if someone could contact him directly and see if we can -
1) get his blessing to post it
2) do anything to facilitate its formal publication.

It would be great to get it out, and into discussion.

So if you want a copy of this remarkable unpublished poem by Bradbury, and can agree to otherwise keep it private until Ray has a chance to bless it, I will be happy to send you a copy. I think this is OK since it was published as part of the broadbcast of the radio drama back in 1975, and so entered the public realm in auditory format. Just email me at jktaylor@pol.net

Merlyn

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Merlyn,

Posts: 2 | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post