Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit ~ the play
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit ~ the play
 Login/Join

posted
Here is the link to Mr. B's next play at the Fremont Centre Theatre, starting 17th of January. This is a very short run to make room for the Illustrated Bradbury at the same theatre...quickly followed by Falling Upward at the El Portel Theatre.

https://www.plays411.net/newsite/show/play_info.asp

One may purchase tickets for all three productions at www.plays411.com

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BRAVO! Love "The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit!"

I have to repeat this story (likely have elaborated a portion of it in previous postings).... but repeat I must because it's one of those things Ray Bradbury leads your life into along the way as one appreciates what Ray has already creatively done.

It went like this~
Back in the 1970's in Chicago, The Organic Theater Company did a production of 'Ice Cream Suit'. I attended several performances, and they were really fun. Once ol' 'Chicago Sun-Times' columnist Irv Kupcinet attended the play, and fell asleep half way thru the play. Now, the casual observer may have thought this somewhat an insult, but Irv, at that time, had some health problems and nodded off during the most inappropriate times.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irv_Kupcinet

Around the same time, singer Harry Belefonte stopped by, and there he sat in the first row, applauding the performance.

But it was what happened after the play, when the actors all got together at a small bar a block or two from the Organic Theater that was very memorable. There was Meshach Taylor, one of the wearers of the Ice Cream Suit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meshach_Taylor

There was Dennis Franz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Franz

And there was Joe Mantegna, who played Gomez.
http://www.joemantegna.com/

One evening, I walked in for something between a beer and a coke, and at the bar all three sat. After a few minutes, Dennis turns to me and says, " Nard, we've decided we are all going to California to become actors."

It was one of those moments you say years later ..."what would I have done to have a video or tape recording of that singular moment?"

____

The most extravagant performances of 'The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit' was in Pasadena many years later, at the Pasadena Playhouse, with dancing and singing, truly a great stage production. Everyone loved it!!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

Do you are responsible for these three getting their starts in Hollywood. Smiler

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ' think' I know what you said.

But only thank Mr,. Bradbury for the inspiration and energy to try, John!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
I ' think' I know what you said.

But only thank Mr,. Bradbury for the inspiration and energy to try, John!

Heck, I'm not sure what I typed...

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit mailer.

John King Tarpinian

ImageWICS.jpg (265 Kb, 21 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Looks like a boy band! With jkt as lead singer...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Looks like a boy band! With jkt as lead singer...

I could relate a few of the jokes that were made when this picture was selected but not on a public forum. Smiler

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
jkt ! Perhaps this one of a previous Ice Cream Suit production is better?

ImageRaBrWICS.jpeg (173 Kb, 14 downloads)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
jkt ! Perhaps this one of a previous Ice Cream Suit production is better?

Yeah, but South Pasadena is much closer than Chicago. Besides, my time-machine is in the shop.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to sit thru a rehearsal of the play today. This is going to be one sweet production.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
The gala premiere night is this Saturday. Mr. B is scheduled to attend and there will be an extra special "something" for all that attend.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
...jkt ~ Let me guess, John! It's:
..........ICE CREAM?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
...one sweet production.

Is that a clue to the "special something" mentioned above?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
...one sweet production.

Is that a clue to the "special something" mentioned above?

Partly

John King Tarpinian