Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blurb
 Login/Join

posted
My friend works at blurb.com and I have created a few books (mostly of photos and artwork). Some of you know I collect "uncollected" Ray Bradbury. As more early Bradbury stories are "found" and collected in books, I find my collection getting smaller... HOWEVER, there are still quite a few stories that remain uncollected and, to me, special.

I have considered scanning them and making a Blurb book. This book would be completely private. I would never make it public or attempt to sell it. The idea of having these loose leafs of paper in a book format is exciting! I have even done some illustrations that I would include with some of the stories.

This idea came to me recently and I haven't looked into the legality of a private book / copyright etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is a private book OK? Is it any different than a collection of photocopies and random clippings from magazines? Thoughts??

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is COMPLETELY private - i.e. available only to you and not distributed to anyone else - then this should be perfectly legal. No different to collecting photocopies.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK then! It shall be done...

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have started working on this... it will be a fine book. It sure will beat having a stack of manilla folders in my closet!

posted Hide Post
The first book is done! Here are the contents:

Defense Mech...pg. 4
Doodad....pg. 13
The Ducker...pg. 26
Genie Trouble...pg. 37
The Ghosts....pg. 40
Holiday...pg. 42
The Hour of Ghosts...pg. 47
How Am I Today Doctor?...pg. 50
Invasion Eve...pg. 53
Jonah of the Jove-Run...pg. 55
Juggernaut...pg. 65
Love Contest...pg. 70
The Maiden of Jirbu...pg. 77
The Offering...pg. 79
Overkill...pg. 85
Pilgrimage...pg. 90
The Year 2150 A.D. ....pg. 95

I also added images of the original publications for each of these stories.

Working on book 2 now!

posted Hide Post
Could you post a picture or two, please?
But would that violate copyright?

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure... I don't think it will as long as I don't include the entire story. But I went minimal with this project.

When the book arrives I will take some photos.

posted Hide Post
Hmmm... I posted a gallery but I can't seem to find it!

posted Hide Post
Linnl... I wasn't able to create a gallery here for some reason, but I added some photos to a public gallery on flickr if anyone is interested.

Blurb did a great (and very fast) job with the book.

Check it out here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/d...s/72157632570153191/

posted Hide Post
Great cover, djmonolith, and all around outstanding creation! Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Book Two arrived this morning!

Table of Contents:
And Watch the Fountains
Dog In the Red Bandana
The Irritated People
Lasarus Come Forth
Niblick Is the Name
Payment In Full
Rocket Skin
Rocket Summer
The Silence
They Knew What They Wanted
To Make a Long Story Much Shorter
The Troll
The Undead Die
Where's Lefty?

posted Hide Post
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

What a pity you can't sell copies. I'd be happy to pay to have access to those stories! Guess I'll have to wait for the Bradbury Center project to progress a bit further.

I do have "The Undead Die", and I've seen "The Ducker", but none of the others.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that I have the stories in book format I can sell the original pulps and anthologies. If that is the case I will need to pad the shipping container with something. A photocopy or two would work nicely. Wink

posted Hide Post
Amazing that you were able to obtain copies of all those!

Cori

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion... I am still missing quite a few stories. You helped me with a couple... thank you!

If you are interested I could pack some of these photocopies up and send them your way. Let's chat offline about stories you have/need.