Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blurb
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Are these in chronological order? "Invasion Eve" I have never heard of!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is actually an unpublished fragment written during World War II but it stands alone as a short short... it has been on my list of unpublished stories for years.

I grabbed my copy from The Ray Bradbury Companion.

It is Titled and Dated 1944

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't know he published "Love Contest" under the name of Leonard Douglas. I wonder why this story is uncollected, because I consider it as a wonderful work. I've read it million times in Russian.

Posts: 173 | Location: Russia | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pavel, welcome back. We haven't seen you here for nearly a year!

It sounds like people need to be reminded of my Bradbury Short Story Finder - which has both "Invasion Eve" and "Love Contest" listed with their publication details Smiler.

"Love Contest" is a curious omission from Bradbury's short story collection. According to our friend patrask, Bradbury didn't think the story was any good. This is what patrask wrote back in 2006:

quote:
I own a copy of both of these SEP ( Saturday Evening Post) articles. I had Ray sign them a while back, he signed "AKA Ray Bradbury". He stated at the time that he did not like the stories, they were not very good. Probably written to sell at the time and not his real work. He asked why I would want them, I said, becasue they are history and came from the mind of the master. He chuckled.

Here is patrask's post in its original context.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic... when was the last time you updated the Short Story Finder? I have used it as a resource for many years and I LOVE it!

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the last time I revised it was in 2011. This was probably when the first volume of the COLLECTED STORIES came out, and I cross-checked my data against Jon Eller's referencing system (Ths is the the "Eller Ref" I use in the Short Story Finder.

I'm please you find it useful. I use it all the time! I'll be busily studying something (like the published screenplay for DARK CARNIVAL/SOMETHING WICKED) and I'll spot something that reminds me of another story. But where is that other story? Quick - look on the Short Story Finder.

So you see, I created it for myself... but I'm pleased that other people find it useful.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post