Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Festival aims to solidify Ray Bradbury celebration

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Festival aims to solidify Ray Bradbury celebration
 Login/Join

posted
Have you read this? Sorry if you have already.

Posts: 173 | Location: Russia | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a really cool festival. Wish I could be there!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
' this ' ...is AMAZING!

What a treat for Ray Bradbury fans and readers.
And since it's not until next year....in the summer, gives plenty of time to plan to be there for many.

( :::Also...I didn't realize you had to click on the word 'this'. That is until lmskipper marveled at the site...and I went back and said..."Oh! You click on 'this'." DUH! Gotcha!!)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pavel, thanks for your post; I'd never have seen that article otherwise. What a fascinating concept--and I really like Mr. Shank's determination. "When I do Bradbury, I do Bradbury." I just have this feeling that this will be an incredible event.

And--Circque du Soleil, what an incredibly interpretive and imaginative force, and to pair them with Mr. B--oh, man, wow! Does ticketmaster know about this yet?

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is now a website for this proposed festival:

http://raybradburyfestival.com

There's not much solid information yet, but there are some nice images from the archive, such as posters from previous productions from Bradbury plays.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
O.K. all my Bradbury pals. Now that we know this is a year away, this gives us plenty of time to save up and make the trek out there. Is anyone game?

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would consider it, even though it is on a different continent. (Orlando is one of the easiest US cities to get to from the UK.) However, I would want to know exactly what is on offer from this festival, and how much it would cost. At the moment, that level of detail is conspicuously missing.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder too, since it's in Florida, if Ray would be able to make it. It seems like such a grand idea to honor him would not be complete without the man himself putting in an appearance.

posted Hide Post
True, but I would settle for a conference call, or one of those "Sorry I can't be there tonight" video clips they use for award ceremonies!

Of course, it being in Florida should be convenient for biplane1.

And everyone attending could also drop into Epcot to experience Spaceship Earth, which Ray wrote the original script for.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Yes, the Festival in Mt. Dora will be very realitic for me to attend as it is about a 4 hour drive north of here. As Mt. Dora is also known for its antique shops my wife will definately want to go as well.

It would be great if Ray could come. He seems to be getting along pretty good with the engagaements that he has been participating in out there in California. Plus he has an aunt here in Ft. Luaderdale that he has told me about. It is his Uncle Bion's (that spelling is not correct, sorry) widow, some 90 or 91 years-old.

We will have to keep on track with this.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, a schedule of productions has now appeared, so this is beginning to sound as if its for real:
http://www.raybradburyfestival.com/schedule.htm

I just looked on Dramatic Publishing's website (they show forthcoming authorised productions for all the plays they publish), and none of these festival productions is mentioned yet, which means it's still not official yet.

And the email address on the festival website doesn't work, which doesn't inspire confidence.

Sorry, I'm sounding rather negative!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
philnic:

I said, Wow! This is going on now?

"NO!"

All these show dates are for...2006! Probably the reason it's not as yet listed in Dramatic Publishing's list. Shank, the director, worked on the Colony Theater productions. I've been there, on Riverside Drive in LA. They were great productions.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Terrance Shank the other day and the festival is "on" for next year but he is currently in a mode of fund raising as his organization is strictly non-profit.

Corporate sponsorship is very big and will help greatly. I would imagine the key would be to find corporate principles who are Bradbury fans.

Although I am not sure what I can do to help in this regard I am going to try. And I definately will be attending one or two days of the festival.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post