Notify
Tools

She
 Login/Join

posted
Ain't it cool!?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30261

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank You Doug Spalding! I am there!
I will have to take the day off from work, mis my cancer support group and drive for an hour and a half, but for this event it will be worth it. I am usually on the Aero Theatre mailing list, but I missed this one? I used to attend the saturday morning kiddies shows at the Aero when I was in elementary school. It has been refurbished and even better, it was saved from loss. It was originally build by Donald Douglas of the aircraft company fame to provide a place for his employees to go to the movies. I grew up in Santa Monica and return when I can for old times, such as high school reunion etc. Sheeee, what a night that is going to be.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not only that, but:

http://www.everypicture.com/news/91/1/bradbury-and-harryhausen%21.html

Be there! I plan to be (with my film crew if they will allow it).

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Would I love to see this!!

For those for whom the link isn't working:

Special Screening of Merian C Cooper's SHE with Bradbury, Harryhausen and Ackerman in Los Angeles!!!

Hey folks, Harry here - This time the event isn't taking place at the Alamo Drafthouse, it isn't an Ain't It Cool sponsored event (though I absolutely support the event) - no. This is just an opportunity to be somewhere seeing something absolutely f------ amazing. SHE. Merian C Cooper's 1935 film - restored to it's 95 minute length - that's right, they found the missing 8 minutes and here it is! Even cooler is the fact that Merian C Cooper awe-struck worshippers - Ray Harryhausen, Ray Bradbury and Forrest J Ackerman will be together and hosting this event! A chance to see this film, with these three men is a chance of a lifetime. Great film with Great People!!!

Tuesday, October 10, 2006: Aero Theatre

The Tuesday, October 10th program is a 7:30 PM screening of a newly restored and uncut version of SHE (1935, The Douris Corporation, 95 min.), directed by Lansing C. Holden and Irvin Pichel. "I am Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow." Producer Merian C. Cooper (KING KONG) tries his hand at the oft-adapted adventure fantasy classic by H. Rider Haggard and comes up with what remains, to this day, the most entertaining, eye-popping version.

Unlike the enjoyable mid-1960's Hammer studios take on SHE starring Ursula Andress, which recast its tale in the African desert, this mesmerizing escapist fare is set in the Arctic, with intrepid explorer, Randolph Scott encountering man-eating cannibals before coming up against the even more formidable She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Helen Gahagan is the imperious, goddess-like ruler of the lost kingdom of Kor, a woman haunted by her immortality after bathing in the flame of eternal life and waiting eons for the man of her dreams - Scott!

Cooper had originally hoped for the film to be shot in color, but alas, it was not to be.

Now thanks to Legend Films and the personal shot-by-shot supervision of fabled effects wizard, Ray Harryhausen, Cooper's original vision has been realized in a new, eye-popping, colorized and uncut restoration (with 8 additional minutes not seen in the movie since 1935!). With Nigel Bruce, Helen Mack, Randolph Scott & Helen Gahagan.

Special guests for the evening will include Ray Harryhausen, Ray Bradbury and Forrest J. Ackerman, plus a discussion following the film with Ray Harryhausen. Preceding the screening, there will be a reception open to the public at Every Picture Tells A Story, 1311-C Montana Ave., Santa Monica (right across the street from the Aero).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mr. Dark,

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In this day and age I am still surprised to see the "f" word in print in places where you normally wouldn't see it, i.e., the Ray Bradbury Board. Down here there is a publication called "New Times" which uses the word most prolifically in its stories.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane, My sentiments exactly. (Though I believe you meant "e.g." not "i.e.")I was amazed recently having listened to a Mickey Spillane audio book which was remarkably free of such expletives, especially when most modern writers (and comedians, of course) believe they must use what in the past were known as "cheap shots". We're becoming less and less creative when trying to be verbally profound; probably because we're becoming less and less literate.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My apologies. I meant to delete that word and simply forgot. Sorry about that. It is inappropriate. It has now been edited.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mr. Dark,

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harry, Harry, Harry - do you eat with that mouth!?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Down here there is a publication called "New Times" which uses the word most prolifically in its stories.

I remember that paper from my days in Palm Beach. I remember the sexy ads in the back in particular!

"Live Forever!"