Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    looking for online text of "The Fireman"

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for online text of "The Fireman"
 Login/Join

posted
Can someone please help?

thanks in advance,

Sam

Posts: 4 | Location: manchester,ct,usa | Registered: 01 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few weeks back I had a similar request concerning locating a copy of the story which has never been collected in any of Mr. Bradbury's works (as it first ran). However, I did do a search via a regional library electronic system and have (in front of me as I type) a copy of "Science Fiction Origins" by William Nolan and Martin Greenberg (Fawcett Popular Library, NY, 1980). ISBN0-445-04626-0
(The story runs about 55 pages from paperback size pages.)

Anthology includes:
Fireman-Ray Bradbury
The Day of the Perky Pat-Philip Dick
The Fasterfaster Affair-Wm. Nolan
Hopper-Robt. Silverberg
He Who Sails-Roger Zelazny
Malice in Wonderland-Evan Hunter
Guardian Angel-A.C. Clarke

Occasionally e-bay has a copy up for bids from the Galaxy pulp s.f. magazine of the early 50's. They can be expensive.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 03-01-2005).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The complete "Fahrenheit 451" text seems to have gone offline. "The Fireman" used to be here somewheres, but may have been obliterated when much of 'Miscellaneous' in Legacy... disappeared somewheres. There may still be a posting of 'The Fireman' somewhere.

In the meanwhile, ''while I is lookin' ''... try this Russian website for a lot of complete Bradbury short-stories online...in this English version section: http://www.raybradbury.ru/cgi-bin/page.cgi?014

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 03-01-2005).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, you just answered the $64,000 question! I have 3 locations for my Distance Lit. course this semester. I had started organizing an extensive list of RB s.s. selections I wanted to assign, but logistics was continuing to be a challenge (getting materials from here, sending there, borrowing, ordering via libraries, copies (...er, shhh!), etc.).

This is a motherlode of readable RB's titles. Better yet, it's the "Cat's Pajamas" and will surely be put to use with those I already have on hand. Now, I simply need to supply the web address. What a lesson plan!

Great timing. Thank you!

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjpalumbo:

You may want to also try another section of that same Russian website. This may or may not be useful to you. It gives 'introductions / synopsis'... to Bradbury stories, as well as the link to the book where you can find that particular story. It's divided into 3 sections, with a total of 24 different stories. Each storyhas a little picture icon -link. Click on: http://www.immersion.raybradbury.ru/

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but I think those Russian websites with complete Bradbury stories are illegal in the US. I'm quite sure they don't pay Bradbury for reprint rights or any of that.

fjpalumbo - you may want to see if giving such a link to your students is kosher. Maybe such a site is acceptable for educational purposes.

And don't get me wrong - I like free stuff as much as the next guy - but various organizations are starting to crack down on "free" online media sites.

Posts: 32 | Location: Provo, Utah, USA | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your help!

Sam

Posts: 4 | Location: manchester,ct,usa | Registered: 01 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I went to the pages that you suggest, but no luck. Anyone else know where I can get an on-line text of the Fireman?

Thanks,
Sam

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samn:
Can someone please help?<br /><br />thanks in advance,<br /><br /><br />Sam

"The Fireman" has been republished in the book "A Pleasure to Burn"

You can see the book here: http://goo.gl/RkQdK

Posts: 1 | Registered: 02 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post