Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    By the pricking of my thumbs...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

By the pricking of my thumbs...
 Login/Join

posted
Look out! Just in time for Halloween, Colonial Radio Theatre's production of SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES is just about to be released!

It's available to pre-order from Blackstone, here, and should be available from other sources such as Amazon and Borders fairly soon. The official release date is 1st October.

Colonial very kindly supplied me with a review copy, and I can report that this is a rollercoaster of a production, and a worthy successor to their previous release, the award-winning Dandelion Wine. The script is by Bradbury himself - it is essentially his stage play version of SWTWC, ever so slightly modified for radio/audio.

Unlike Dandelion Wine, the SWTWC play is a direct adaptation of the novel, but with many of the introspective chapters (revealing characters' inner thoughts) eliminated. This means the story rolls by at a slick pace. I think those of you who use SWTWC in the classroom will find the audio production to be a useful study aid.

I am working on a more detailed review of the production for my website, but wanted to get this information to you as soon as I could.

By the way, Colonial are working on THE HALLOWEEN TREE next!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cause for celebration, indeed - thanks!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like that the British say "Colonial are", rather than "Colonial is".

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think that's a Britishism, so much as my haste in writing, and not thinking about rules of grammar!

(Worse yet, on my blog I just finished a sentence with "of". Churchill would be proud...)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I don't think that's a Britishism, so much as my haste in writing, and not thinking about rules of grammar!

No really - that's the way they talk. I read the British versions of Harry Potter, so I know!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
...on my blog I just finished a sentence with "of". Churchill would be proud...

You just finished a sentence Churchill would be proud of?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Winston Churchill once drafted a paper where he finished a sentence or two with a preposition. His secretary corrected these grammatical errors.

When Winston saw the corrections, he was furious, and wrote a terse note to his secretary:

"This is the kind of interference up with which I will not put!"

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Terse is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
The Brits do refer to groups as plural nouns, notably in sports reporting; e.g. "England were soundly thrashed by The U.S, who are now looking forward to the match with Brazil ..."

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished the novel for the first time!

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a sneak preview of the cover art for the CD, visit my website!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
This is exciting! I hope this is better than the Disney movie, which I always found dissatisfying (the glamorous Dust Witch, the horrible spider scene, and I never thought Jonathan Price was scary as Mr. Dark). I loved their Dandelion Wine production.

Posts: 36 | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PHIL:
You undoubtedly have the best ...
THE BEST
...website of Ray Bradbury on the internet!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
PHIL:
You undoubtedly have the best ...
THE BEST
...website of Ray Bradbury on the internet!

True, and it could be made just a little better by changing the word "blog" to "article." Smiler

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lordshen, your thoughts on it? Just curious because I have read it multiple times and I'd love to hear a fresh view. Will it be available at Borders like before?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post