Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Has anyone heard of these?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone heard of these?
 Login/Join

posted
I have been looking for the titles to these two stories. I don't even know if they are by Ray Bradbury. The first one my sister in law told me about, so I haven't even seen it.

There is a young girl who lives alone with her father and you never see her face, but you can tell that she is really lonely. Her mother supposedly died when she was a baby. There are no mirrors in the house at all. Finally at the end, she asks her father what really happened to her mother. He tells her that she killed her mother because she ate her way out or something like that. The girl has a really horrible monster face.

The second story is about a girl that wants to lose weight and she is at her house and a mysterious man shows up, offering her a special pair of glasses that will help her. She puts them on and all of the sudden the fruit on the table is talking to her, telling her not to eat them. She keeps them on so long that they grow onto her head, and her friend finds her about a month later dead with her mouth sewn shut with old dried up vegetables all around her.

Any help I could get at all on these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 1 | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not by Ray. I still plan on sending a batch of "non-Bradbury" descriptions to my other sources for solution, but don't know when I will.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While we are at it, maybe someone knows if thse two are Bradbury stories:

Bicycles take on a life of their own and start riding around town ... That evening, Mars begins sending out a signal to Earth, and all the bikes stop...and turn into Martians...

The other has to do with a Mr. Fuller, who has been dead for 100 years, and is now seen with a Martian, having a soda. When the family of Mr. Dusk along with little Phillip meet to discuss what they had seen, they are confronted with the terrible reality that summer is passing too quickly and no one has made chrysanthemum salad.

Thanks for any help...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, is that your subtle way of implying that people are making these things up?

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion:

I take it these are NOT Bradbury stories. Well, they sounded like they could be....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do have that sort of Ray Bradbury feel with a Twilight Zonish twist to them...they're not real stories, are they?

posted Hide Post
Dandelion:
They are Twilight Zonish stories only if you think about them in black and white....

"The Day The Earth Stood Still"...
... was on TV yesterday. You can pull a lot of stuff out of there that looks like Twilight Zone.

But one part is really interesting in these times... when the "visitor" from space says he will destroy all of Earth because ...of the 'threat' of nuclear weapons program it possess....

Hmm! Maybe that's where this whole thing with Iraq started. Bush saw this movie when he was a kid and this premise has been floating around his subconscious even since...

posted Hide Post
It's chilling to think what might be floating around in that man's subconscious....

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imskipper,

Easy there. Some of us out here might be big fans of GW's. Could get a flame war started.

(Although it might be nice. Haven't had one on this board for a while.)

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think if we could each look into our own subconscious minds, we might be taken aback. Look at your dreams, honestly. Are they really things you want to talk about? I know I've had some weird ones. I keep a dream log and I think that if my house were burning down, that is the LAST thing I'd try to save!

Now, speaking of a potential flame war, given what we know about Clinton's conscious mind; I'm a bit nervous about what could be rattling around in THAT sub-conscious arena. :-)

I really enjoyed some of the speculation that went on about the content of the sub-conscience in the movie "The Cell". Did anyone else enjoy some of those visuals and ideas? I thought a lot of it was pretty interesting!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, this string is about as fragmented as can be, so I'll just jump in.

Comparing G. W. to B.C. on a level of subconsciousness is an interesting pursuit unto itself. G.W. would have to win in the depth of thought contest hands down.

And if Iraq used a plot stimulis like "The Day the Earth Stood Still" to incite world unrest, can you imagine what some subsequent movies could do to provoke future conflicts? Or perhaps, the fact that this story is important to GW (which validates his sensitivity to agression}makes it significant to TPTB in the Middle East?

The Cell seemed to reach some unchartered depths and I hope it is a direction that will be explored with greater delicacy in future films.

And, Mr. Dark, I hope you house NEVER burns.

Posts: 118 | Location: Gulfport. MS | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry. I couldn't resist the (obvious) cheap shot. Should have abstained.

Actually, fire is one of my real fears. I hope never to have to deal with it. Two friends have lost homes to fire, and fire takes out EVERYTHING. Photos, letters, gifts from children, little certificates, medical records, etc. It's terrible stuff. I don't wish it on anyone. I have also lost two friends to fires. One bled to death trying to get out a window, the other actually died getting kids out of a store fire. The kids lived. She did not. Scary stuff.

It's interesting that I must not be alone in my fear/awe of fire. It is used as a symbol of both good (purification) and evil (hell) worldwide throughout religions and literature.

The subconscious fascinates me. I know Freud and Jung are seen as almost quaint by many; but I still see the issues they raise as quite compelling.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To All on this Topic:

Here I am....home alone, nursing a terrible cold starting....and a busy day tomorrow. No way!

Per replies above....Subconscious stuff?
Hmm!?!

I come from that realm of beliefs....that man is inherently evil, and that absolutely no good thing is present. The only thing present that is good, is God. And that's everything, of course. Now it becomes a little difficult to follow...so bear with me for...fifty five seconds? :

The Son of God is fully God AND fully human, and having had all things created thru Him, thus, he is inherent and critical in our being, because of Love. That means what we think of as our grandeous emotional experiences of really eye opening insights, is...well, is the character of God swelling inside of us. The difficult arises when we give Him all kinds of names, and the worse is...refer to Him as ME! It's the old saying, then. God made man in His image, and man returned the favor. No, that ain't YOU!

Some call 'it' a higher power, etc etc etc etc. Some disconnected individuals, disconnected so greatly, call HIM, the Pharoah of Egpyt that they once were, or other 'out on a limb' sort of 'Shirley' stuff. Re-incarnation! Oh, yeah, that's what they call it. The problem is...it is NOT intellectually found, but found emotionally and by the dreams of the heart and soul.

I believe George Bush and William Jefferson Clinton both believe in the same God...probably. So does Jimmy Carter. So does Ronald Reagan. So did George Washington. So did Abraham Lincoln. It's how you respond to that God that determines your character. Oh, it's more than that...

But short cuts start the conversation and then the conversations draw out all the details...in the long run....

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 12-28-2003).]

posted Hide Post
This is a great discussion! I do not have a dream journal like Mr Dark but I do remember scores of the better ones. To entwine this topic to things Bradbury I recall him stating rather bluntly that he does not write his dreams into his stories. I suppose the reasoning is that writing of happenings which occur in a dream state, or your subconscience, what have you, does not register as vivid to the reader's as it does in your mind. It is a heavy bias to overcome while writing. I'd say it would be like me trying to write a convincing article on why I believe Howard Dean should be President.

One dream in particular comes to mind. Now, I've had maybe a hundred "falling" dreams in my lifetime over the edge of a bridge. Mr Freud I'm sure had something to say about these dreams but I heartily believe they are just a fear of heights and falling off them. Most people I've talked to have similar dreams, all ending right on the exact moment of making contact with the hard ground. The one I'm refering to I fall over the ledge and I hit the ground without waking. There is pain. I wiggle for a minute and then I finally wake. How about that, Dr Freud?

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid I don't remember most of my dreams. Perhaps Mr. Dark's idea of a dream journal would help. But I suspect that they're not worth remembering in the first place. Kinda dull.

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post