Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Question

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question
 Login/Join

posted
Does anybody know the title of Ray Bradbury's short story about at girl named Margo who had to move to another planet because Earth was overcrowded? It rained on this planet every day of the year except for one hour and the kids at school locked Margo in a closet b/c they did not believe her stories about Earth. Please help me!!

Posts: 1 | Location: Harrisonburg, VA, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry...I don't have your answer. But must include a personal note. Gosh, that was I think the 3rd Bradbury story I read. That ("____"), and a story called "The Man Without A Country" by somebody else were the first two pieces of writing that made me cry. Ah, mushy.
Wasn't it every 7 years rather than every year?
(Sorry I couldn't help.)

Posts: 14 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"All Summer In a Day," first published in book form in A Medicine for Melancholy.

Posts: 53 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one? "Man Without a Country" by Edward Everett Hale.

If so, the narration tells of the sentencing of Philip Nolan (Lt.,US Army)in the early 1800's to never again set foot on American soil nor hear the words "United States" spoken for the remainder of his days! I believe, this "man without a country" served this sentence for nearly 50 yrs. until his death. A (timeless) classic!

It reminds me a bit of Hitchcock in "No Particular Night or Morning".

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, by Hale, that was it. Was that a true story?

Posts: 14 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little off-track, but that reminds me of a particularly Bradbury-esque 'Twilight Zone'. I forget the title, but it was about a criminal (played by Jack Warden, I think), who serves his sentence living on a barren planet, alone.

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure "The Man Without a Country" is true, and that "Twilight Zone" episode is called "The Lonely."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RE: " 'The Man Without a Country' seemed so realistic that many people who read it in The Atlantic Monthly in 1863 believed it was true." (Prentice Hall Literature, 1991)

I had always thought it was a non-fictional story.

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post