Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Help on my research paper?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help on my research paper?
 Login/Join

posted
My research paper is about the life and work of Tennessee williams... I know this is a Ray Bradbury Forum, and I am terribly sorry if this is a violation of some kind, but I know alot of people here are well read, and I thought that maybe, I could get some help on the paper.

The title of the paper is "What is the victory of a Cat on a hot tin roof" and the general theme is survival, in his life, and how that was translated through his words.

if anyone knows about his work, or his life, or would like to help, it would be greatly greatly appareciated.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't you notice a powerful and obnoxious odor of mendacity in this room?

This link might be of some help:
http://www.americantheatrewing.org/seminars/detail/inte...ssee_williams_04_05/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Braling II,

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh thank you so much!

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's one of my all time favorite movies. Every actor/actress shone from Liz to Paul to Burl. I knew right when I saw the word "mendacity" what you were talking about. My favorite scene in the movie is where Brick is with Big Daddy in the basement. They were talking about Big Daddy's father who was a hobo who rode the rails. When Big Daddy says, "yeah, I loved that old tramp more than anything", I start to tear up every time. What about Maggie too, whew she looks fine as Dandelion Wine (my tie-in Smiler).

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Didn't you notice a powerful and obnoxious odor of mendacity in this room?

Mendacity is a good word - but a bad thing.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocket-

Thats one of my all time favourite movies as well! the passion of Miss Taylors performance is so stirring, especially when she cries "maggie the cat is alive! maggie the cat is alive!" I love it. Absolutly stunning. Every word of it. and I agree with you on that scene. Gets me every time too. especially when he talks about how the old man died with a smile on his face.

Doug-
Mendacity is a bad thing. (it makes me a sad panda.)
When I was younger, I used to walk into rooms, with a rolled up bit of paper that looked like a cigar, saying that exact qoute that Braling posted.

"Didn't you notice a powerful and obnoxious odor of mendacity in this room?"

smells like death.

posted Hide Post
Cool! Smiler

Another couple powerful scenes are when Big Daddy goes outside in the rain to try and get a drunk Brick back inside and Brick lets loose with the line, "Or a time when they won't be around", or something like that. That's when Big Daddy realizes that he is going to die and his angry response to his son is, "why, I'll bury you"! The other is in the end where Maggie's horrid sister-in-law May, yells that she is lying about being pregnant as she is going up the stairs to finally be with her husband. I love the dreamy look on Goober's face as he say's, "yes, that girl's got life in her".

Another of my alltime favs is The Long Hot Summer. Joanne Woodward, Ohhh-la-la! Excellent performances all around that ensemble cast of greats!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His first story was published in WEIRD TALES. That's the same mag that bought a lot of RB's early stories. That's all I know about the guy.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocket -

Both wonderful scenes! If you like Cat on a hot tin roof, you may also like suddenly last summer. Morbid! but worth it.
I have to admit, I have never seen the long hot summer. Whats it about?

Grasstains - I've never heard that before, do you know what story it was?

posted Hide Post
Picnic!

Always reminds me of a wonderful exchange between Andy and Goober on the Griffith Show (my favourite show):

Bear with me.

Goober: I love picnics. Speaking of picnics, you remember that movie 'Picnic'? Cary Grant sure was good it that movie.
Andy: Goober, Cary Grant wasn't in 'Picnic'.
Goober: He wasn't? Well, speakin' of Cary Grant, I do him.
Helen: What?
Goober: I take off on Cary Grant. Want to hear me do Cary Grant?
Andy: Uh, Goober..
Goober: Be glad to. Judy. Judy. Judy.
Andy: That's real good, Goober; but Cary Grant wasn't in 'Picnic'.
Helen: That was William Holden.
Goober: William Holden? Heck, I can't do William Holden; he sounds like everybody else.
[Andy and Helen walk off with Goober following]
Goober: I can't do William Holden, but I can do Cary Grant. Judy. Judy. Judy.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocket- Mae is awful, isnt she? She reminds me of the woman a friend of mine married! an absolute horror

Doug- Very very funny

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildGravity:
Mae is awful, isnt she? She reminds me of the woman a friend of mine married! an absolute horror

Yeah - friends tend to do that.

quote:
Doug- Very very funny

It sure is. I thank you. Hilarious, wonderful programme.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
More often than they should Doug Frowner

posted Hide Post
Mae was horrid for sure. Long Hot Summer is a great movie about a vagabondish guy(Paul Newman) who's father was a known barn burner in the area. He latches on to the richest family in town by getting a job with the patriarch played by Orson Wells. It drives his real son(James Franciosa{?}) up a wall because the dad is treating him better than his own son. In the midst of all of these goings on, he falls in love with his spinster daughter teacher(Joanne Woodward) against her very willful will(???). It has a fiery climax that I refuse to reveal to y'all....

posted Hide Post
That sounds incredible!

strange sidenote- I'm attracted to any piece of work that has 'Summer' in the title.

Damn you Bradbury!