Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    A Sound of Thunder

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Sound of Thunder
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know what things the phrase "a sound of thunder" represents?

Posts: 1 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never seen that question asked. I would have to venture a guess that it has to do with an event that causes an impact that is ominous and intimidating. In the story, the event that causes the change is minor -- he steps on a butterfly. The consequences appear to be far out of proportion to that. When lighting is far off, the lightning itself seems less intimidating, but the thunder can come rolling in over the plains with a kind of powerful, frightening sound. When the lighting is close, of course, the thunder shakes walls and rattles windows. A sound of thunder, in the context of this story, seems to have something to do with the fact that the impact of the lighting appears in the thunder. But, as I say, I've never thought about that before. I'm interested to see what others come up with on this one.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A Sound of Thunder" seems, evidently, to refer to a Brontosaurus, the "thunder lizard."

Posts: 5 | Location: Syracuse, NY, USA | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition, the T. Rex makes a sound of thunder when it walks, falls "thunderously" in the story, and the noise is ironically mirrored in the gunshot of the end.

Posts: 5 | Location: Syracuse, NY, USA | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Resurrecting an old thread just to post a link: (what appears to be) the full text of Bradbury's short story (nothing new there - it can be found in many places on the web), with some illustrations form one of the comic book adaptations. Followed by a brief analysis of the story:

http://www.scaryforkids.com/a-sound-of-thunder/

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UK writer Brian Sibley (friend and sometime adaptor of Bradbury) has just blogged about the new LIVE "Walking with Dinosaurs" show. Amazing animatronics! Plenty of video clips, here:

http://briansibleysblog.blogsp...09/08/dinomania.html

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Resurrecting an old, old thread... to post some new, new news:

I've just guested on the podcast Take Me To Your Reader, which discusses science fiction films based on literature. The episode I appear in covers "A Sound of Thunder".

If you've got 90 minutes to spare, take a listen to the lively discussion here:

http://pavementpodcast.com/pod...r-feat-phil-nichols/

- Phil