Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Is there a Classified/WTB section here...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a Classified/WTB section here...
 Login/Join

posted
...if so, I haven't been able to find it yet.

Would this Resources board be an appropriate place to post a WTB posting? Or are such WTS/WTB posts frowned upon at this forum? Thought I'd ask before assuming it'd be okay...

Posts: 28 | Registered: 19 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WTB = want to buy?
WTS = want to sell?

Well, if this is private individuals looking to buy and sell, I don't think there would be a problem. But don't get carried away with it.

Of course, spam posts about running shoes and sunglasses are frowned upon.

Ultimately, though, bear in mind that this site is owned and hosted by HarperCollins publishers. Although they don't seem to take much interest in it, they might take a different view if it turned into eBay.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'll consider that a green light. Smiler And, no worries, no sunglasses or Men's products here.

What I'm looking to buy is a signed/limited copy of Gauntlet's expanded DARK CARNIVAL. There was a Fine/Fine copy in slipcase that sold on eBay last week for a few bucks over $200. I was almost -- so close -- to pulling the trigger, but backed away at the last minute since we'd just bought a new car the day before and I had wallet fatigue. Now, of course, I am kicking myself over it...I've wanted to read (and own) this book for years and keep pushing it to the back-burner. I'd like to remedy that and finally get my hands on a copy.

The prices on ABE, et al are obscenely high, but these copies also never sell and languish for sale. The two copies I have seen sell on eBay were both slipcased and both went for around $200. That suggests that the true real-world market value of this book is around $200 since that is what sellers are actually receiving, regardless of what others may be asking but not selling for.

Anyway, thought I'd throw that out there, in the event someone has a duplicate copy and/or needs some fun money and doesn't want to mess with eBay. I hear there was an unsigned trade/overrun edition that Gauntlet also put out...I'd be interested in offers for that as well at about half the cost of the S/L...I just wanted to read the thing, and have plenty of signed Bradburys to keep me otherwise content.

posted Hide Post
Interesting observations! I have seen copies of both the Gauntlet and the original first edition on sale for ten times that amount - but you are right, those are ASKING prices, not necessarily what anyone is going to pay.

I don't have any copy of any edition, but I have been able to read the Gauntlet edition.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the auction; note, too, there was only one bidder. Looking at it again is for me like rubbing salt in a wound, but, anyhow...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-C...orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

posted Hide Post
RC: That was really an opportune price. I have a copy of this limited edition (ironically just a few from the one shown, #407).
It is a very fine item that sold for about $150 back at its original 2001 release (as I recall). My edition includes a short booklet of "Time Intervening" and an audio cd. The book is regularly listed for several times its original price (as indicated by Phil). A few online now range from $500-$1000.

I am always on the alert for one of the following whenever I enter an old, out of the way bookstore with dust-covered, ill-managed publications lying all about: http://www.biblio.com/dark-car...bury-ray/work/734455 One never knows. . .

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
RC: That was really an opportune price.

Yeah. Hopefully that I've seen two copies in the last few years on eBay go at that price means I'll have another shot down the road. Third time's a charm.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Ultimately, though, bear in mind that this site is owned and hosted by HarperCollins publishers. Although they don't seem to take much interest in it, they might take a different view if it turned into eBay.

They determine the format so we can't make a buy/sell section, various off-topic sections and so on, so must improvise.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
They [HarperCollins]determine the format so we can't make a buy/sell section, various off-topic sections and so on, so must improvise.

Good point. In which case, RonClinton, you could always start a thread called WTB/WTS.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if this thread begins to gather dust.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RonClinton:
What I'm looking to buy is a signed/limited copy of Gauntlet's expanded DARK CARNIVAL.

If you don't mind a first edition of the British version, this seems like a good deal. I might get it, myself!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's no reason to buy the British edition unless you're a collector with lots of money.

Five stories are omitted, including "Interim" and "The Maiden", both of which were collected only in the Arkham House edition of Dark Carnival. So it's kinda not the real thing.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
If you don't mind a first edition of the British version...

From 9 shillings in 1948 to 475 dollars in 2015. That means its value has increased by a factor of nearly 700 in 67 years. A good investment, back in the day.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I've just used two online calculators to establish that 9s in 1948 is the equivalent of roughly (and I stress roughly) $22 today. So, yes, a good investment, but hardly a 700-fold increase in actual value (as Phil knew when he said it) Smiler

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by douglasSP:
I've just used two online calculators...

Spoilsport!

- Phil