Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray to Receive Honorary Doctorate from Columbia College Chicago
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray to Receive Honorary Doctorate from Columbia College Chicago
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Well, I think we can focus on Weller's biography of Ray and the fact of his ongoing promotion of Mr. Bradbury and his works. I agree that it is difficult to invest in someone and not have calls returned. It makes you feel used and that is an unpleasant feeling for anyone. I think we can leave it at that.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr. Dark, and especially to you embroiderer, for mentioning that I am not alone in Mr. Weller's odd behavior. I guess that I was taken aback by the fact that, after having known Ray for some 42 years now, it appears that almost everyone close to him and around him are kind, generous people themselves as Ray has been for all of the years I have known him.

My comments were more of an observation than anything else. Enough said!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane 1 ~

I think you are one of the kindest, most generous-spirited people on this board and, as such, deserve a little more respect.

~ tink

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sam has been good about staying in touch with me, so I was commenting that when someone doesn't stay in touch it is bothersome as a general rule. I understand biplane's reaction. I was NOT commenting on Sam's behavior toward me. The fact is he has done me several favors--for which I will always be very grateful. Sam has been VERY helpful to me and has always been responsive. It would not be right to leave anything out there that left a different impression.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tinkerbell--thank you for your kind words and I really appreciate them. I have tried to be helpful and contibute to the board when I can.

Although my relationship with Ray over the past 42 years has been sporadic it has been eventful. Another well known author, Richard Bach, author of Jonathan Livingston Seagull, who once a neighbor of mine, is the person through whom I first was able to meet Ray so many years ago. Since then I have been to his house four different times, and have spoke with him on the phone periodically, the most recent a few weeks ago. He has always been so gracious, kindly signing books that I have sent to him.

And, to be honest, after speaking with Ray several months ago and knowing how many people he meets, I was wondering if he really remembered who I was when I call announcing myself as "Michael from Florida." Then, on that occasion, out of the blue, he asks if I had heard from Richard Bach. Well, no, I hadn't but it warmed my heart to know that Ray knew exactly with whom he was speaking.

I admit that I have been envious of Doug Spaulding, Nard, JKT and others who are able to be in closer proximity to Ray. And in turn, I know that Ray is a happier and contented man knowing that he has the care and concern of those close to him.

Mr. Dark, and in response to your comment, I did not detect anything nefarious but merely a statement of fact in regard to your comment about Sam Weller. I don't really think that there is any question as to his talents and positive virtues, it's just that he, like us all, has some idiosyncracies that we might not fully understand.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Richard Bach with this book does two things. He gives me Flight. He makes me Young. For both I am deeply grateful."

- Ray Bradbury, on Jonathan Livingston Seagull

I wonder if Mr Bach would sign a copy for me.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have loved these boards, partly, of course, for their discussions about Bradbury; but also because of the many good people here. I hope we can enjoy years of discussion and fellowship here.

Jonathan Livingstone Seagull remains one of my favorite books. I read it in HS, in the early 70's, and have always since had a vision that each of us, in our own way, must find a path to perfection. Not the debateable scholastic perfection endlessly argued by theologians, but a perfection of finding ourselves and honing our moral beings. I think Ray makes us feel a similar sense of touching something perfect and beautiful in his writing. Like the Seagull's ability to make me feel and desire perfection, Bradbury allows me to feel the power of imagination and of great words and images.

I'm grateful for the exchanges we have here.

posted Hide Post
Doug, you have to admit, nefarious is a good word.

I haven't been in touch with Richard for some time now as he is quite the recluse. I have been in touch with two of his sons, Rob and Jonathan. But it might be difficult to have him sign a book as I have several newer one that I'd like signed as well.

posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark, your comments are duly noted and appreciated. What I enjoyed most about knowing Richard Bach is flying with him in his 1929 Detroit-Parks biplane doing aerobatics and enjoying every minute of it. I also got to go barnstorming with him and that was also quite an experience.

The other neat thing, which I belive that I may have mentioned before on the Board, was being in his den when he was writing Nothing By Chance (which I am mentioned in, p.205) and he would hand a yellow sheet of typing paper straight from his typewriter to proof read and mark out any extraneous words. Now how many people get to do something like that?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Doug, you have to admit, nefarious is a good word.

I do admit it.

quote:
But it might be difficult to have him sign a book as I have several newer ones that I'd like signed as well.

Well, if you ever get a chance...

Extraneous is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane: That would be a very cool experience. I actually taught Jonathan Livingston Seagull to church youth groups as a way of understanding growth toward a perfect knowledge of God in Christ's love. Of course, Jonathan is both a Christ and Buddha figure in the book (at least in my view). I love his focus on growth and love and perfection--as he says, perfection is in love. (A very strong NT theme). In fact I have a hard copy of the book with cross refernces to both the NT and the Dhammapada. I still, in my cynical old age, find the book very moving and enlightening.

posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

A little background on Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Richard wrote the first half in California when the inspiration left him. He later moved to my hometown of Ottumwa, Iowa where he accepted the position of editor of the Antique Airplane Association's monthly magazine.

He moved into a house about a 1/2 mile from my home and I got to know him, having been reading his articles in FLYING and several other aviation magazines for several years, over a period of time to where I would stop by and play chess with him (he always beat me) and visit with him and his family.

Then one night he woke up with the idea for the rest of the book of Jonathan Livingston Seagull. He sent it out to some 18 publishers receiving a polite "Thank you, but this book does meet our current needs" letter.

One day he received a note in his mailbox from Eleanor Friede, a Senior Editor with Macmillan Publishing, who had just read his first book Stranger to the Ground which she enjoyed very much. She wanted to know if he had any uncommitted menuscripts. Off went the manuscript of Jonathan which was then published by Macmillan and then sales languished for about a year. When he then started really promoting the book appearing on The Tonight show with Johhny Carson, The Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder, and others, the book took off. At first people didn't know what to think of the book--was it a children's book or was a motivational book? CEOs of major companies starting buying it for their sales staff and the book started selling like mad.

It was about this time that Richard left his wife and children and took off for Florida calling his publisher one day to check on the book only to be told that it was doing quite well. His next call was to his bank where he was astonished at the amount that was in his account. All these facts are outlined in Richard's book A Bridge Across Forever.

So it remains, as you have noted in your own response to the book, a well liked story of guts and determination. Richard was a practicing Christian Scientist when he wrote Jonathan and his strong beliefs may have been reflected in the book.

posted Hide Post
Menuscripts is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
biplane: Thanks for the information. I'm always surprised at the way books seem to take on a life of thier own. I'm not sure of the exact figure, but I think Hemingway was rejected by 19 publishers before anyone took his first book. It seems impossible to predict which books will sell well and which will just drop dead. Some books seem to strike a chord, and others--arguably better books--can't find an audience with which to resonate. Being a pulisher seems like a high risk occupation/profession. One moment you're a star, the next moment you have a dud and have cost your publisher tens of thousands of dollars. All with very little predictability.

posted Hide Post
Biplane! Keeping dry where you are?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post