Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray to Receive Honorary Doctorate from Columbia College Chicago
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray to Receive Honorary Doctorate from Columbia College Chicago
 Login/Join

posted
Dear Bradburians,

Ray Bradbury will receive an Honorary Doctorate from my school, Columbia College Chicago, this Sunday [Today, I believe]. I will be introducing him via video from his home in Los Angeles. We have an annual parade at the end of each school year that marches down Michigan Avenue and there is going to be a Bradbury theme to part of this spectacle. This video is as short commercial for the parade and Bradbury's Doctoral degree.

The parade begins at 6 pm at 600 S. Michigan Avenue on Friday evening. In his absence, I will be dressed up as Ray Bradbury!

Also--My book, THE RAY BRADBURY INTERVIEWS, will be published in the fall of 2010 by Melville House press. The book promises to hold a lot of goodies that I am certain will make all Bradbury fans happy.

Blessings to all,

Sam Weller
THE BRADBURY CHRONICLES: THE LIFE OF RAY BRADBURY

P.S. (From Mr. Dark) Sam has provided me with a video clip that I have been unable to post here. Phil Nichols has suggested I try to post it to YouTube and provide a link. I will try that in a few hours. If it works, I'll provide a link in this thread.)(Sam, my apologies)

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
In his absence, I will be dressed up as Ray Bradbury!

So you'll be wearing tennis shorts and a French Medal?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe Sam will dress as 1980s Bradbury, and wear a white suit.

Mr Dark, I've just emailed you again about the video clip.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
In his absence, I will be dressed up as Ray Bradbury!

So you'll be wearing tennis shorts and a French Medal?

At the least, one of Ray's custom ties.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dr. Nichols, That is it!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the link to the video clip tied to the Columbia College, Chicago program honoring Ray with the Honorary Doctorate. Sorry it took so long to post it, and thanks to Phil Nichols for locating it for me on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...ture=player_embedded

Sam:

When will your upcoming book be available? I know I'm anxious to get it!

posted Hide Post
It was a pleasure, Dr Dark!

(I actually posted this clip on my blog several days ago, and posted a link to the blog on this board at the same time.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once again, my British intellectual master is ahead of me. Thank goodness for globalization! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
At the least, one of Ray's custom ties.

He seems to have abandoned the ties. If we can get a few more countries to give him such a medal, he won't have to buy another tie for the rest of this life!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once again, my British intellectual master is ahead of me. Thank goodness for globalization!

Or globalisation!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Sam Weller is actually still alive! I still haven't figured him out yet. He was. in a way, rude to me several years ago, but I will get over it. I just can't figure out why, after he gave me cell phone number and asked me to call him so that he might look at my collection of Ray Bradbury letters and notes over the years, he never answered, never responded, nothing. Rather odd I thought.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
He was. in a way, rude to me several years ago, but I will get over it.

Several years and you still haven't gotten over it? Come on. How many more years you need to get over this? Weller probably doesn't have a clue who you are and really doesn't care. Years ago.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Michael, now you've had someone else be rude to you.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Yes, Douglas, I see that! After having spent several weeks prior to the Big Read event in Miami communicating with Mr. Weller, and after spending an entire evening with Mr. Weller and the audience and Ray on a fifty foot screen, and then later, just the two of us checking out some of the materials I had brought with me, and then with him giving me his cell phone number so that I could call him the next day for a time to get together again, and he doesn't know who I am...I don't think so. As to not caring, embroider is quite right, and that is quite obvious, but why? That is what I would like to know.

Thanks Doug, it's nice hearing from you.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Michael, now you've had someone else be rude to you.

Doug Spaulding, if you think it's rude for someone to be told to stop hanging on to some "hurt" by someone who doesn't find it a priority to return calls, so be it. I have a couple friends who have had experiences with Weller that have been good at times, and not good at other times. Get to know Weller in more than just a singular encounter. Why Weller is like that at times is a mystery. But biplane is not alone in this.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post