Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    New Martian Chronicles production
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Martian Chronicles production
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
skmckee,

there are quite a few small mysteries surrounding Ernest Kinoy's adaptation of Mars is Heaven, which I did some research on in 2007.

Dr Horst appears to be a creation of Kinoy's, since he doesn't appear in either of the published versions of Bradbury's story (the original stand-alone short story and the slightly modified version that appears in THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES). However, one of Dr Horst's characteristics is that he is stated as being immune to the Martians' influence (because of his experience in Dachau). What makes this interesting is that in Bradbury's own stage and TV adaptations of Mars Is Heaven, he also has a character who is immune in a similar way (but without Dachau being mentioned). In Bradbury's stage play, this attribute is given to Spender, who is being set up for the next chapter, And The Moon Be Still As Bright. In his teleplay for RAY BRADBURY THEATRE, it is a character called Larsen.

Why is this so intriguing? Well, it suggests EITHER than Bradbury is taking on board ideas from writers who have adapted his story - effectively re-adaptating the adaptations! - OR that Bradbury may have been circulating a different version of the story (perhaps a screenplay treatment or draft script) to radio producers, and that Kinoy was adapting from an unpublished Bradbury adaptation.

Prof Eller of the Center for Ray Bradbury Studies looked at some of the variant manuscripts for me, looking for clues as to what was going on here, but we never really found the answer. We DO know that Bradbury had a number of MARTIAN CHRONICLES stage and screen adaptations going on in the mid- to late-1950s, so its POSSIBLE that such a revised version of Mars Is Heaven exists - but we haven't found it. So it's still a bit of a mystery.

By the way, that rooster referred to in the weblink you gave is what made me initially suspect that Bradbury had adapted Kinoy. There is NO rooster in Bradbury's short story or MC chapter, but there IS in Kinoy's script... AND there is in Bradbury's own TV adaptation for RBT!

How's that for an answer?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
skmckee,

How's that for an answer?

Wow... A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma! Thanks so much for your insight here. That must have been a fun and fascinating investigation. If Ray did borrow from Kinoy, it seems only fair, considering that Kinoy took such liberties with Ray's work... I assume Ray has been asked? Has he any recollection of the sequence of events?
Thanks again!

Posts: 109 | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jon Eller has asked Ray every question imaginable about everything he has ever done! Ray may (claim to) remember his own birth, but he doesn't remember every little detail from such a busy career. Jon's forthcoming books will construct Ray's writing and professional development in immense detail, far more than Sam Weller was able to do in The Bradbury Chronicles. It remains to be seen whether 1950s radio plays much of a part.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's get back on topic:

Here's a world exclusive - my review of the forthcoming Colonial production of THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES (due for release on 7 June).

- Phil